"What we're telling small-business owners, and the resellers and managed service companies that work with them, is that the time is right to migrate that information from those dodgy tapes to the safety of online backup."
Toronto, Canada (PRWEB) October 28, 2009
Storage Guardian aims to help hundreds of small and medium-sized businesses transition from antiquated and unreliable magnetic tape backup systems to the latest online and cloud backup technology. The company, which specializes in offering SMBs enterprise-grade online backup, has launched a 'Dust-Off Your Tapes' campaign to help drive awareness of the perils of relying on vulnerable magnetic tapes as a long-term archival medium.
"We've seen tapes stacked in basements and hidden in dusty storage closets, and it makes you wonder what will happen when someone needs to restore that information," says Dave Minns, client services manager at Storage Guardian. "What we're telling small-business owners, and the resellers and managed service companies that work with them, is that the time is right to migrate that information from those dodgy tapes to the safety of online backup. The economics make sense, and they're assured that they conform to best practices in data storage."
Migrating from tape to Storage Guardian's Asigra-based online backup service is easy. Storage Guardian's software recognizes Symantec Backup Exec and VERITAS Backup Exec in Microsoft Tape Format and converts them into a Backup Lifecycle Management archive package that can be integrated into an online, tiered-storage system. Storage Guardian's tiered-storage approach automatically selects the most cost-effective online storage strategy, and makes all data instantly accessible.
With more than ten years of experience and hundreds of satisfied customers, Storage Guardian's remote data backup service has established itself as a dependable provider of enterprise-grade online backup technology for smaller companies. What sets it apart from the many low-cost alternatives in the market are online data backup features optimized for businesses that depend on servers (nowadays, that's most SMBs):
- Its tiered-storage backup model includes a) a local backup of first-generation data; b) a highly available second tier of online backup; c) a third tier of near-line backups of mature data (typically backups that have aged past 90 days).
- Convenience and flexibility are two crucial considerations when a major data restore is needed after a catastrophic server failure. Storage Guardian offers the ability to perform a "bare metal restore" to a completely different computer.
- To save time, the initial backup is performed on an external drive that is shipped to the Storage Guardian. Similarly, if a major restore of a large amount of data is needed, Storage Guardian can overnight an external drive containing the restore data.
- Storage Guardian's ultra-secure online backup technology uses AES 256-bit encryption PLUS hardware authentication. Information to be backed up is de-duplicated (deduped), compressed and encrypted before transmission to Storage Guardian's SAS-70 compliant datacenter.
- Storage Guardian can also backup and restore individual mailboxes and contacts from MS Exchange and Outlook.
About Storage Guardian
Storage Guardian delivers business continuity protection and information lifecycle management. Storage Guardian is used by small and midsize businesses, enterprises, and multiple-platform LAN computing environments that want to safeguard their critical business data in a secure, off-site location. Its remote backup service is the culmination of a decade of intense research and software development and represents a superior alternative to tape-based data recovery systems. All Storage Guardian's solutions are based on Televaulting technology from Asigra, a recognized leader in enterprise online backup. The company is also developing a select network of authorized VARs to service the off-site backup and fast data recovery needs of companies located throughout North America.