Engine 39 Finds a Home at Strasburg Rail Road

Share Article

Strasburg Rail Road to restore and operate the LIRR G5s Locomotive from the Railroad Museum of Long Island.

Another historic steam locomotive may be given a new lease on life at Strasburg Rail Road! The Railroad Museum of Long Island (RMLI) and Strasburg Rail Road are partnering to restore, operate and maintain the Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) G5s Steam Locomotive #39.

After 33 years of failed or abandoned restoration efforts for Engine 39, both parties are excited to move forward with this monumental project. Before the work can start, the RMLI must raise $900,000.00 in 2013 and then transport the remaining portions of the locomotive to Strasburg Rail Road. The Strasburg Rail Road has agreed to then fund the remaining amount to help complete the three-year restoration project.

The Strasburg Rail Road Mechanical Shop team will continue its role of preserving history, as Engine 39 is one of three existing G5s class locomotives. The locomotive was built at the Juniata Shops of the Pennsylvania Railroad in 1929. Engine 39 will be the only one of its class in operation and one of only two operating locomotives (out of more than 6,700) built by the Juniata Shops.

“We hope this restoration project will spark interest in railroad history in the northeast, as visitors and rail enthusiasts track our progress and watch Engine 39 being brought to Strasburg Rail Road and transformed back to its original state,” comments Linn Moedinger, President of Strasburg Rail Road.

In order to start the restoration, RMLI must raise the $900,000.00 for the move and restoration of the locomotive. Tax-deductible donations can be made to “RMLI Engine 39” at P.O. Box 726, Greenport, NY 11944-0726.

About Strasburg Rail Road:

Strasburg Rail Road is one of Pennsylvania’s leading family attractions and is home to museum quality, working, turn-of-the century steam locomotives, freight cars, dining cars, private cars and one of the largest fleets of historic wooden passenger cars in the world. Founded in 1832, Strasburg Rail Road also holds the unique distinction as being America’s oldest short line railroad.

The 45-minute train ride departs daily from Strasburg station. Passengers can choose to ride Coach, First-Class, Open Air or the Dining Car. Plus, ride on the miniature Cagney steam train, the authentic Pump Car, or take a behind-the-scenes tour to see steam engines being built, restored and refurbished. For more information on the Strasburg Rail Road or to purchase tickets, please visit http://www.strasburgrailroad.com, or call 717.687.7522

About the Railroad Museum of Long Island:

The Railroad Museum of Long Island (the Museum), was founded in 1990. The Museum is chartered by the Board of Regents of the State of New York, and is an IRS 501(c)3 non profit organization. The Museum is run by a Board of Trustees made up of members throughout Long Island. The goal of the Museum is to preserve and display Long Island’s railroad heritage. All of the work of the Museum is done by volunteers. The Museum operates two locations; Greenport, NY at 440 Fourth Street by the tracks and Riverhead, NY at 416 Griffing Avenue just north of the tracks. For more information visit http://www.rmli.org.

Share article on social media or email:

View article via:

Pdf Print

Contact Author

Tiffany Dodson
Scheffey Integrated marketing
(717) 569-8274 32
Email >

Steve Barrall
Follow us on
Visit website