Baltimore, MD (PRWEB) June 10, 2013
Baltimore-based STX, LLC, a global sporting goods leader, announced today that it has signed five new members to Team STX, the first-ever elite post collegiate women’s lacrosse team. The roster now includes the addition of Kitty Cullen, Sam Farrell, Taylor Thornton, Alyssa Kildare and Lauren Schmidt.
Team STX looks to change the landscape of post-collegiate women’s lacrosse, giving these players the opportunity to compete at the highest levels of the women’s lacrosse circuit. In addition, Team STX will contribute to the company’s grassroots efforts to expand the reach of the game.
Since announcing its initial roster, STX has added five top lacrosse athletes. Alyssa Kildare (Hopkins ’12) and Lauren Schmidt (Stanford ’11) signed earlier this spring. STX has also added three 2013 graduates. Kitty Cullen and Sam Farrell from the inaugural team at the University of Florida set the bar for the Gators’ program and are expected to have a similar impact on the inaugural Team STX. Taylor Thornton (Northwestern ’13) led the Wildcats to four Final 4 seasons and will be bringing that winning mentality to the defensive line for Team STX.
The new athletes join Josie Owen, Grace Gavin, Maggie Tamasitis, Julie Gardner, Clayton Crum, Mary Flowers, Cacki Helmer, Dana Cahill, Brittany Brigandi, Lillie Lingo, and Lauren Benner to make up Team STX.
- Kitty Cullen (Rockville, MD), who played on the inaugural women’s lacrosse team for Florida, was a 3x Tewaaraton Award Nominee. During her career at Florida, Cullen was a 3x IWLCA All American, 3x ALC First Team, ALC All Tournament Team and First Team All Region. Cullen was also the first Gator to score 200 career goals.
- Sam Farrell (Millersville, MD), who played with Cullen on the inaugural women’s lacrosse team for Florida, was a 2x IWLCA All-American, 3x All ALC and Tewaaraton nominee. Farrell was also made ALC All Tournament Team and NCAA All Tournament Team.
- Taylor Thornton (Dallas, TX), a former US National Team member, was the 2012 Lacrosse Honda Sports Award Winner. During her career at Northwestern, Thornton was a 3x Tewaaraton nominee, 2012 Tewaaraton award finalist, 2011 IWLCA National Defender of the Year and 2012 American Lacrosse Conference Player of the Year. Thornton was captain for 2 years at Northwestern and started all 90 games of her career there.
- Alyssa Kildare (Massapequa Park, NY), currently a coach at C.W. Post, was a 2x captain at Johns Hopkins University and is a former member of the US National Team. While at Hopkins, Kildare was a 4x All-Conference ALC, 3x All-Mid Atlantic Region, Tewaaraton Award Nominee, IWLCA Senior All-Star and Defender of the Year.
- Lauren Schmidt (Bay Shore, NY), now a coach at Berkeley, was a 2x MPSF Player of the Year. During her career at Stanford, Schmidt started all four seasons and led the team in points in 2010 and 2011. She was named 2x All American, First Team All Region and was on the 2011 Tewaaraton Watch List. Schmidt is also a former US National Team Member.
Josie Owen, who signed with Team STX last year, has also been named Team Captain. During her career at the University of Virginia, Owen was a 2012 All-America selection and Tewaaraton Award nominee. Owen now coaches at the University of Denver.
Team STX will start its inaugural season at the 41st Vail Lacrosse Shootout in Vail, Colo. from July 4-7th. In the first post-collegiate women’s lacrosse tournament of the summer, Team STX will showcase its talent and compete with players from around the country.
STX is a global sporting goods leader in the sports of lacrosse, field hockey and golf. With its 1970 introduction of the first synthetic lacrosse head, STX ushered in the “modern era” of what is now the fastest growing team sport. Based in Baltimore, the home of lacrosse, STX has been universally recognized for innovation in product design and development. STX continues to strive for new performance standards in sporting goods equipment at the highest levels of competition. For more information, visit http://www.stx.com.