Dr. Sullivan is a passionate advocate for health education, promoting healthy lifestyles and disease prevention
Tampa, FL (PRWEB) March 03, 2012
The American Association of Physician Specialists, Inc. (AAPS) has announced that it is accepting nominations for the first annual Louis W. Sullivan, MD, Health Policy Leadership Award. The award is named in honor of Louis W. Sullivan, MD, former Secretary of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (1989-93) under President George H. W. Bush and founder of the prestigious Morehouse School of Medicine in Atlanta, GA.
Dr. Sullivan, currently a public member of the AAPS Board of Directors, is chairman of the board of the National Health Museum in Atlanta.
Candidates for the Sullivan Award will have made or be making a truly outstanding contribution through an initiative to improve the health status of individuals, targeted groups, communities, or the nation. The individual may have a primary role either inside or outside the public health arena.
“Dr. Sullivan is a passionate advocate for health education, promoting healthy lifestyles and disease prevention, “said AAPS President Robert Cerrato, DO, JD. “It is an honor for AAPS to recognize a significant contribution to the public health in his name,” he said.
Nominees must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- The candidate must have served as a champion in promoting major health policy changes, or:
- The candidate must have used innovative methods of promoting public health policies to targeted stakeholders, or:
- The candidate must have been a policy maker who affected major health policy legislation, or:
- The candidate must have advocated for health policy improvements, or:
- The candidate must have been recognized for a distinguishing achievement related to health policy.
To nominate an individual for the award visit http://www.aapsus.org/sullivanaward. The initial award will be presented June 26 in Los Angeles at the 60th AAPS House of Delegates & Annual Scientific of the Meeting.
The American Association of Physician Specialists, Inc. ® is the governing body of the American Board of Physician Specialties ® which certifies qualified allopathic and osteopathic physicians in 17 different specialties.