Consumers must embrace their natural complexions and understand the importance of daily sun protection
New York, NY (PRWEB) June 12, 2008
In this country alone, one in five people will develop skin cancer in their lifetime¹ with more than 1 million skin cancer cases diagnosed annually². Skin cancer rates have risen to alarming numbers over the past few decades - the rates of melanoma, the most serious type, have more than doubled in the last 30 years³.
With years of experience as both a skin cancer researcher and a clinical dermatologist, Dr. Dennis Gross is all too familiar the sun's role in damaging and aging the skin. Dr. Gross urges his patients, "just as you wake up and brush your teeth, application of an SPF product must be incorporated into your morning routine. By simply altering your sun habits and wearing sunscreen, you may be able to avoid skin cancer entirely and escape the damaging effects of premature aging marked by wrinkles, dark spots and sagging skin."
Sunscreen is not just for the beach. It's a treatment that plays a vital role in the overall health and beauty of the skin. "Consumers must embrace their natural complexions and understand the importance of daily sun protection," Dr. Dennis Gross warns. Society is becoming less fixated on sun-worshiping and "bronzed-beauties." The deep tan look of the '90s is no longer revered as the beauty ideal and celebrities such as Cate Blanchett and Nicole Kidman have emerged as the new beauty icons.
Dr. Gross' eponymous skincare line, MD Skincare®, by Dr. Dennis Gross, includes a powerful, yet elegant sun protection collection that is so comfortable one might forget they are wearing it. Gone are the days of unpleasant, greasy, sticky and stinging sunscreens - new, lightweight and odorless formulas have been developed. The Powerful Sun Protection collection by MD Skincare® offers ultra-light, fast absorbing, multi-tasking formulas with award-winning iron-encapsulating technology that aids in skin cancer prevention by addressing the harmful effects of iron left on the skin by water and perspiration. The Powerful Sun Protection collection combines a precise blend of moisturizing nutrients, antioxidants and botanical infusions to protect the skin 365 days a year.
""The ultimate sunscreens - a joy to apply, vigorously protective and even help reverse damage that's already occurred." - Dr. Dennis Gross, Creator and Founder - MD Skincare®
Dr.Gross' Ton Ten Sun Safety Tips:
1. Incorporate sun protection into your beauty routine 365 days a year.
2. Apply sunscreen 20 minutes prior to sun exposure first thing in the morning so it can properly
3. Sunscreen is essential while driving since UVA (aging) rays can penetrate glass.
4. Avoid sun exposure between the hours of 10am and 2pm when the sun's rays are strongest.
5. Your hands are exposed to sunlight everyday ¬ apply sunscreen daily to avoid signs of aging.
6. Choose a broad spectrum sunscreen with a chelator that protects against UVA and UVB rays.
The benefit to choosing a sunscreen with an added chelator is huge - it will help protect you from skin cancer! Chelators protect your skin from sun-activated iron molecules which can damage DNA, a known cause of skin cancer.
7. Don't mistake self tanners for natural pigmentation - they will not protect your skin against the
8. Swimming and excessive perspiration makes reapplication necessary - no matter how water-
resistant the formula.
9. The proper amount of sunscreen to cover your entire body is 2 oz.
10. Forgotten areas -¬ remember to protect your lips, hairline, scalp and earlobes.
Visit mdskincare.com for more information on Dr. Dennis Gross and MD Skincare® by Dr. Dennis Gross products or contact Sarah Stocker at sarah @ mdskincare.com.
1. American Cancer Society
2. National Cancer Institute
3. National Cancer Institute