In order to better fully support our Mac users, we've added Apple Time Machine and iPhone support to extend the capabilities of the Disk Station
Redmond, WA (Vocus) September 9, 2009
Synology® America Corp. today announced the official release of Disk Station Manager 2.2 in North America, after attracting over 10,000 enthusiastic users to participate in the beta program. The Disk Station Manager 2.2 introduces a new Surveillance Station 3, DLNA compliant media server, Apple® Time Machine® and iPhone® support while improving reliability and other features.
Surveillance Station 3 includes the brand new features Synchronized Multi-Event Player (SMEP) and Centralized Management. SMEP allows users to simultaneously watch events recorded at the same time from up to four different cameras. Centralized Management allows users to simultaneously watch the camera live-views installed on multiple Disk Stations, or watch the event timeline of a single camera installed on another Disk Station.
DLNA compliant media sever ensures interoperability between a Disk Station and a wide range of DLNA-compliant home devices, providing hassle-free digital content sharing.
"In order to better fully support our Mac users, we've added Apple Time Machine and iPhone support to extend the capabilities of the Disk Station," said Heather Morford, marketing director of Synology America Corp. "Time Machine support allows Mac OS X users to backup their data directly to their Disk Stations using the native Mac OS X application. Two new iPhone applications, DS photo and DS audio, make uploading photos and streaming music from a Disk Station to an iPhone or iPod Touch and easy and seamless process," adds Morford.
Improved system reliability provides transparent bad sector remapping, dynamic bad sector remapping and recovery, and improved HDD driver quality and compatibility.
Highlights of the enhancements include: iSCSI support which allows for the creation up to 10 iSCSI targets on a single Disk Station; auto-block support which extends its original FTP coverage to the management UI, File Station, SSH/Telnet, rsync and mobile devices, a built-in firewall allows users to decide which services or IP addresses are allowed to access the Disk Stations; and iTunes Server now supports video playback.
DSM 2.2 Details Include:
1. Surveillance Station 3: 54 additional camera models from 10 renowned brands, bumping the total up to 193. VIVOTEK video server VS7100 is supported, providing a reliable and user-friendly transition from CCTV to IP-Based surveillance. SMS notification allows administrator to receive an immediate notice upon the occurrence of designated critical events. Live view, event player and live view layout management are also enhanced.
2. DLNA Compliant Media Server: Streaming media files from the Disk Station using DLNA complaint devices allows easy enjoyment of music, photos and videos. In addition, support for Windows® Media Player streaming and predefining an image to be displayed as the album cover for music files are provided. Customization of the MIME type mapping helps DMA correctly identify the file formats.
3. Apple Time Machine®: Mac OS X users can easily back up their desktop data by simply choosing a destination folder on the Disk Station.
4. iPhone® Support: "DS photo" allows users to upload photos stored on their iPhone/iPod® Touch to Disk Station easily while instantly sharing it with anyone online. "DS audio" allows users to stream music stored on Disk Station with their iPhone/iPod® Touch where Internet access is available.
5. Improved Reliability: Transparent bad sector remapping, dynamic bad sector remapping and recovery, and improved HDD driver quality and compatibility further enhance the system reliability.
6. Mobile Photo Station and File Station: Remote Mobile Users can access their Synology Disk Stations on Windows Mobile® 6.0 (Internet Explorer® Mobile or Opera® 9.0 and onward), iPhone OS 2.2.1 and onward, or Symbian OS 9.1, S60 3rd Edition and onward to view photos and read supported file formats where Internet access is available.
7. iSCSI: Up to 10 iSCSI targets can be created on the Synology Disk Station, allowing the Virtual Storage Expansion for computers on the network. The iSCSI target can also grow on demand, as storage needs increase for the iSCSI Virtual Storage.
8. Auto Block: Blocking an IP address after a pre-defined number of failed attempts further aids in the security of the Disk Station against unauthorized access. The Auto-block function is available on the management UI, File Station, FTP Access, SSH, Telnet, rsync, and mobile devices.
9. Firewall: The built-in firewall function allows the administrator to decide which services or IP addresses are allowed to access the Disk Station to prevent unwanted connections.
10. SNMP: SNMP protocol support allows the administrator to monitor the Disk Station with existing network management software.
11. Resource Monitor: Resource monitor allows the administrator to easily monitor Disk Station's CPU usage, memory usage, network flow and volume usage.
12. SMS Notification: By setting up SMS notification, users will be notified immediately if any critical event occurs on their Disk Stations and take appropriate action as needed.
13. Windows ADS Support Enhancements: With DSM 2.2, Windows ADS can now support 100,000 Domain Users and 100,000 Domain Groups as well as sub-folder privileges setup for domain users/groups in File Station 2. Individual "User Home" Folders can now be created with Windows ADS Users; these enhancements amount to further support for growing business environments, and for easy private folder storage for all ADS users.
14. Download Station Enhancements: Creating multiple download tasks by entering more than one HTTP, FTP or ed2k links at a time is now supported. Also, RSS and RapidShare download is supported. Users can assign the download service location to an external hard drive. An email notification will be sent to admin upon completion of a download task.
15. iTunes® Server: iTunes® Server now supports video player and music album artwork.
Synology Disk Station Manager 2.2 firmware applies to the following models:
RS409+, RS409RP+, RS409, DS509+, DS409+, DS409, DS209+II, DS209+, DS209, DS209j, DS109+, DS109, DS109j, DS409slim, RS408, RS408-RP, DS508, DS408, DS108j, RS407, CS407, CS407e, DS207+, DS207, DS107+, DS107 and DS107e
It comes with all newly shipped Disk Stations. The free download is also available at
iPod®, iPhone®, iPod Touch®, Time Capsule® , iTunes ® and Time Machine® are trademarks or registered trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
Founded in April of 2000, Synology Inc. develops next-generation Network Attached Storage (NAS) products for the home, small and medium sized business markets. Providing a secure way of storing and sharing digital content, Synology products are feature-rich, easy-to-use, energy-efficient and affordable. All Synology product investments are enhanced with free software upgrades and 24/7 online support.
Headquartered in Taipei, Taiwan, Synology has a global presence with regional offices in the US (Redmond, Washington) and the UK (London, England).
Synology America Corp.
(425) 818-1587 X 8031