Taos, NM (Vocus) June 25, 2010
On top of being the coolest place to go in the summer, Taos Ski Valley is also one of the highest permanent settlements in the United States that is occupied year round. At its highest point, Taos Ski Valley sits at 12,606 feet and is inhabited at over 9,200 feet at the village level.
Because of it’s elevation, maximum temperatures rarely exceed a cool 75 degrees. Taos Ski Valley is quickly becoming a hot commodity in the summer among tourists, thrill seekers and those searching for respite from the chaos of city life.
“Most people think of Taos Ski Valley as a great skiing destination in the winter, but once the snow melts in summer, the Ski Valley comes alive with everything from outdoor competitions and activities to musical performances; what can I say, it’s cooler up here,” said Taos Ski Valley Mayor Neil King.
There are currently 75 businesses, and growing, in the 12-year old community providing a number of tourist-related services and activities. The Village has reduced summer lodging rates at hotels and condominiums including the Snakedance Condominiums (snakedancecondos.com) for as low as $59 per night and 20 percent off on any room Sunday through Thursday at Alpine Suites (alpine-suites.com), among other hotel specials at TSV.
Throughout the summer, visitors have a number of available activities including llama trekking, horseback riding on New Mexico’s highest peaks, mountain picnics, trout fishing, hiking along old mining trails, and more.
The Taos Ski Valley summer chairlifts open on June 24th and continues throughout the summer into October. Tickets for the picturesque chairlift ride are $10 for adults, $6 for kids. Call (575) 776-1413 for more information or visit taosskivalley.com.
Upcoming activities in Taos Ski Valley during the summer are as follows:
- July 4, August 1, August 15, August 29- Wild Food and Wild Medicine - learn how to identify edible and poisonous plants as well as the nutritive value and medicinal uses of wild plants. Workshops are offered Sundays, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Cost is $40. For more information call (575) 776-1628.
- July 4 (2-4 p.m) - Celebrate the 4th of July in TSV - enjoy a parade, live music, Rubber Duck race, chairlift rides and more. Free admission. Visit taosskivalley.com for details.
- July 10 and August 7 (8-9 p.m.) - Taos School of Music Young Artist Concert - enjoyy a five course dinner at the Hotel St. Bernard prior to the concert. Visit taosschoolofmusic.com.
- July 12-22 - Nature Adventure - Field Institute of Taos Summer Program - for youth entering 2nd through 4th grades. Eight days of learning about nature. $360 per person. Visit fitaos.com.
- July 24 (9 a.m.)- 6th annual Santa Fe Brewing Company-Frazer Mountain Madness - featuring competitive hill climb and cross country races, both which are part of the NM Off-Road Series, and the Alison Dunlap Junior Olympic Mountain Bike Series. Cash prizes. Visit frazermountainmadness.com
- July 25, August 24 (8 p.m. -10:30 p.m.) - Full Moon Hike to Williams Lake -experience the magic of Taos Ski Valley on a 2 mile hike with Village Mayor Neal King to Williams Lake. Ages 12 and over only. Please wear hiking boots, warm clothing, a windproof jack and bring a flashlight. Call (575) 776-1413 for details.
- August 8 (9 a.m.)- Wilderness School and School of Botanical medicine. This one day class identifies and harvest local medicinal plants outdoors and shows participants how to make and store herbal tinctures, salves, infusions and more. $60 per person. Contact John Duncan at (575) 776-1628 for more. Held at Alpine Village Suites in TSV.
- August 9 - 13 (8 a.m.) - Alpine Journey- Field Institute of Taos Summer Programs. A one week co-ed session for 7th grade and over. Focus will be on alpine environments, climate change and glaciers and includes a four day camping trip in Rocky Mountain National Park. $350 per child. Visit fitaos.org for more.
- August 21 (9 a.m.) - La Sportiva Mountain Cup Race. This 10k trail run starts at 9,207 feet with a 2,612 feet elevation gain in first 3 miles. Pre registration is $25 and includes t-shit; on-day registration is $30. Call (800) 517-9816 or email info(at)taosskivalley(dot)com.
Taos Ski Valley is only 15 miles from Taos proper and accessible by any major city. American Airlines now offers daily non stop flights from Dallas, TX and Los Angeles, CA to Santa Fe, NM. The Taos Express Shuttle is available to transfer guests from Santa Fe to Taos, while the Chile Line public transportation system takes guests from Taos directly to Taos Ski Valley. Visit http://www.taosskivalley.com for complete details and shuttle information.
Contact: Erica Asmus-Otero