Houston, TX (PRWEB) March 21, 2008
With warmer weather only a few months away, it's essential for Texans to consider conducting energy audits well in advance of summer energy peaks. ElectricityTexas.com, a leading site for Texans to compare and order new electricity service without interruption, is offering Texas customers information on the importance of auditing their energy usage.
Energy audits help assess the average energy consumption of a home and determine the important maintenance and upgrades that can greatly improve a home's energy efficiency. An energy audit helps pinpoint problem areas in addition to checking the heating and cooling systems to ensure that they are working properly.
Before calling a professional, homeowners should first:
- Check for air leaks around window frames and doors, electrical outlets, baseboards, wall-mounted air conditioners and any area that may have gaps.
- Look for gaps and leaks around pipes and faucets around the home's foundation.
- Ensure that proper weather stripping on doors and windows is installed. Holding a single sheet of paper near door and window frames is an easy test to locate air leaks.
- Consider caulking problem areas around pipes and faucets, and cracks or holes in the foundation. Inspect the caulking around the exterior of windows and doors as well.
- Look for insulation problem areas in the attic and crawl spaces, specifically checking around piping, outlets and any openings that may need additional sealing.
- Rebates for switching incandescent bulbs to compact fluorescent lighting (CFLs) are great incentives for increasing energy efficiency. CFLs use up to 75 percent less energy, so changing out bulbs both inside and outside of the home can garner significant savings on a monthly energy bill.
An auditor will inspect the structure, roof, HVAC and mechanicals, plumbing, and interior and exteriors, providing a detailed report on how to increase efficiency and save money. It is recommended that Texas electricity customers leave the more complicated insulation inspection to the auditor, as they will be able to determine problem areas that need to be addressed and offer a more accurate assessment of current insulation standards.
ElectricityTexas is a leading site in the state of Texas for comparing, ordering and connecting electricity service. The deregulated Texas electricity market allows Texans to shop for service by comparing incentives and special offers, prices, energy source options and the background and reputation that each energy company offers. ElectricityTexas customers have options to not only lower their monthly bills, but also the option to purchase renewable or alternative energy as well. ElectricityTexas is a member of the WhiteFence network.