The folks in the Land O’Lakes Test Kitchens have been busy compiling sumptuous side dishes for this year’s Thanksgiving that offer a delicious twist on the traditional.
Arden Hills, MN (Vocus) November 15, 2010
For many of us, the Thanksgiving meal is typically one of tradition. But that doesn’t mean we have to prepare the same old side dish recipes year after year. The folks in the Land O’Lakes Test Kitchens have been busy compiling sumptuous side dishes for this year’s Thanksgiving that offer a delicious twist on the traditional.
Earth Risotto combines the earthy goodness of butternut squash and raisins, and adds just a touch of sweetness to create a rich-tasting vegetarian side dish that all of your guests can enjoy. Your spuds will become a smash when enhanced with the flavor and aroma of sautéed onions and butter with Toasted Onion Mashed Potatoes -- gravy optional. Add a whole new flavor dimension to your stuffing with the dried fruits and spices found in Spiced Fruit & Bread Stuffing. And what Thanksgiving table would be complete without sweet potatoes? Land O’Lakes gives this mainstay a fruity, nutty makeover with Baked Sweet Potatoes & Apples with Pecan Butter.
Butternut squash and raisins add a touch of sweetness to this rich-tasting vegetarian dish
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
Yield: 4 (1 1/4-cup) servings
1 tablespoon LAND O LAKES® Butter
1 medium (1/2 cup) onion, finely chopped
1 cup uncooked Arborio rice
4 to 5 cups vegetable or chicken broth
¼ cup white wine or apple juice
1 medium (1 cup) red apple, chopped
1 medium (2 cups) butternut squash, quartered, seeded, peeled, cubed 1/2-inch
¼ cup raisins
Salt, if desired
- Melt butter in 10-inch skillet until sizzling; add onion. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened (4 to 5 minutes). Add rice; continue cooking, stirring constantly, 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine chicken broth and wine in 4 cup measure or bowl. Reduce heat to medium-low. Slowly add 1 1/2 cups broth mixture. Cover; cook 10 minutes.
- Uncover; add apple and squash. Continue cooking; add remaining broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time and stirring occasionally, until most of liquid is absorbed and rice is tender and creamy (4 to 5 minutes for each addition of broth, totaling 12 to 15 minutes).
- Reduce heat to low; add raisins. Cook until heated through (1 to 2 minutes). Season with salt, if desired.
Recipe Tip: Cut squash into pieces. Peel pieces with vegetable peeler.
Nutrition Facts (1 serving): Calories: 220; Fat: 3.5g; Cholesterol: 15mg; Sodium: 1110mg; Carbohydrate: 42g; Dietary Fiber: 3g; Protein: 4g
Toasted Onion Mashed Potatoes
Nothing beats the flavor and aroma of sautéed onions and butter -- these potatoes are a great addition to a homestyle dinner
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Yield: 12 servings
5 medium (about 10 cups) potatoes, cut into eighths
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons LAND O LAKES® Butter
3 cups coarsely chopped onions
2 tablespoons LAND O LAKES® Butter
½ cup milk, warmed
¾ cup LAND O LAKES® Sour Cream
- Place potatoes in 4 1/2-quart saucepan or Dutch oven. Cover with cold water; add salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium; boil potatoes until fork tender (15 to 18 minutes). Drain.
- Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons butter in 10-inch nonstick skillet until sizzling; add onions. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until onions are brown (8 to 10 minutes). Set aside.
- Place cooked hot potatoes in large mixer bowl. Mash slightly with fork. Beat at medium speed, adding cold butter 1 tablespoon at a time, until mixed (30 to 60 seconds). Continue beating, gradually adding browned onions and all remaining ingredients until well mixed (1 to 2 minutes). Add salt and pepper to taste. DO NOT OVERBEAT. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts (1 serving): Calories: 180; Fat: 7g; Cholesterol: 15mg; Sodium: 150mg; Carbohydrate: 27g; Dietary Fiber: 3g; Protein: 4g
Baked Sweet Potatoes & Apples with Pecan Butter
This sweet potato and apple side dish is a great accompaniment to a special menu
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Total time: 55 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
1/3 cup LAND O LAKES® Butter
1/3 cup chopped pecans
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 tablespoon stone-ground mustard
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon freshly grated orange peel
¼ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
3 medium (1 1/2 pounds) orange sweet potatoes, peeled, sliced 1/2-inch
3 small tart cooking apples, sliced horizontally 1/2-inch, seeds removed
- Heat oven to 375°F. Melt butter in 13x9-inch baking dish in oven (4 to 6 minutes). Stir in all remaining ingredients except sweet potatoes and apples. Place sweet potatoes in butter mixture; toss to coat.
- Cover; bake for 25 minutes. Add apples; spoon butter mixture over apples. Cover; continue baking for 15 to 20 minutes or until sweet potatoes and apples are tender.
Recipe Tip: Although no yams are grown in the United States, some grocery stores label orange sweet potatoes as yams.
Nutrition Facts (1 serving): Calories: 250; Fat: 15g; Cholesterol: 25mg; Sodium: 530mg; Carbohydrate: 28g; Dietary Fiber: 5g; Protein: 2g
Spiced Fruit & Bread Stuffing
Dried fruit adds new flavor to homemade stuffing or dressing
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
Yield: 12 (3/4-cup) servings
4 cups dried bread cubes
4 ribs (2 cups) celery, sliced 1/2-inch
½ cup LAND O LAKES® Butter, melted
½ cup sherry or chicken broth
1 (7-ounce) package whole mixed dried fruit, cut in half
2 medium (1 cup) onions, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- Stir together all ingredients in large bowl. Use stuffing mixture to stuff 12 to 14-pound turkey.
Recipe Tip: Prepare half of recipe to stuff 4 to 5-pound roasting chicken, duck or goose.
Casserole Directions: Do not stuff turkey. Heat oven to 350°F. Place stuffing mixture into greased 2 quart casserole dish. Cover; bake for 30 minutes. Uncover; continue baking for 20 to 25 minutes or until top is lightly browned and temperature in middle of casserole reaches 165°F.
Nutrition Facts (1 serving): Calories: 190; Fat: 8g; Cholesterol: 20mg; Sodium: 370mg; Carbohydrate: 25g; Dietary Fiber: 0g; Protein: 3g
Additional recipes and much more can be easily found on the Land O’Lakes website. Also, join the LAND O LAKES® Simple Rewards® Club to enjoy benefits such as free downloadable gift tags, an online Recipe Box for storing favorite recipes, easy access to LAND O LAKES® Recipe Buzz™ Blog, and printable, money-saving coupons for LAND O LAKES® products.
About Land O’Lakes
Land O'Lakes, Inc., a Minnesota-based food and agriculture company, is a leading supplier of quality dairy products. In 1921, Land O'Lakes began making butter from sweet -- not sour -- cream. Ever since that breakthrough, the company has been a leading producer of butter and other pure, wholesome dairy products that deliver simple goodness to consumers. Visit http://www.landolakes.com for great recipes and meal ideas.
Editor’s note: Hi-res images of each recipe are available upon request. Contact Susan Schneider at prwhiz(at)aol(dot)com or at 847.438.4465.