The more I talked with other collectors, the more I realized that it was time for much needed change and innovation within the hobby.
Past News ReleasesRSS
Atlanta, GA (PRWEB) February 24, 2009
What sort of diabolical mastermind would think of taking down, or going up, against Beckett Media and eBay all in one day? Images of Lex Luthor, the Joker or even Austin Powers' Dr. Evil come to mind - these larger than life characters that singlehandedly for better or worse change the face of the world and business as we know it. You could argue that Mike Smeth, owner and president of The Cardboard Connection (CC), is neither villain nor superhero. He is a normal, everyday guy whose lifelong passion for collecting baseball cards and sports memorabilia, inspired him to construct the world's first social network devoted to the trading card and memorabilia industry.
A long-time collector himself, Smeth will be the first to admit that it was not his intention to take down these big companies. "I've collected sports cards for the better part of 20 year. Since my return to the hobby in 2005, I have become increasingly disillusioned with how the voice of the collector is being drowned out, and the spirit of the hobby extinguished, by the very companies that depend, and profit, from them the most," Smeth said. "The more I talked with other collectors, the more I realized that it was time for much needed change and innovation within the hobby." And with that, The Cardboard Collection was born.
Simply put, The Cardboard Connection is the first full-featured social network and market place built specifically for collectors of trading cards and memorabilia. The site was built with the fundamental understanding that shopping and collecting are both inherently social experiences. The end result is a revolutionary community that offers collectors an unparalleled level of interaction, transparency, functionality, and enjoyment from their online collecting experiences.
"After a great deal of hard work and careful planning, we've put together a one of kind community for collectors," Smeth said. "We have gone to great lengths to build the site as collectors, rather than as web designers or businessmen. Our goal for The Cardboard Connection is to fundamentally enhance the level of enjoyment and satisfaction that each trading card and memorabilia collector derives from his or her collecting experience."
- Social Network - The CC Community boasts all the features of Facebook and MySpace but is just for the collector. Create your own custom social network profile page using CC's easy-to-use profile editor, which is very similar to the extremely popular MySpace "Pimp My Profile" editor.
- Showcase Your Collection For All to See - Every account comes with 750 MB of online storage space! Now you can easily share your card and memorabilia collections with your fellow collectors in one convenient, centralized location that makes it easy for others to view your collection from anywhere on the net. Additionally, each account features an unlimited amount of space for members to upload and share their own videos. Uploading and hosting your videos on The Cardboard Connection is convenient and easy and can be shared on other sites/blogs. Have a video posted on another social network site? You can easily add and share videos that are on other sites!
- Marketplace - With both fixed and auction-style selling options, collectors can buy and sell items on CC's feature rich auction market place. Noteworthy items: Ability to import feedback from other sites; list as many items as you like FREE of any listing fees; open a low-cost store front
- Seamless integration between the CC Social Network and the CC Auction Marketplace allow members to experience all the fun and enjoyment of a trip to the card store through cyberspace.
- Blog - CC members can created their own FREE blog hosted through CC. Each blog has built in social bookmarking, full RSS support and a user-friendly WYSIWYG text editor for writing posts and leaving comments. Hosted blogs are automatically integrated with user profiles and can be easily accessed by other CC community members
- Chatrooms - Live chatrooms available 24/7 and instant messenger makes it even easier to connect with members!
Collectors if you have ever wanted more out of your collecting experience, you have a new option that will permanently improve your online collecting experiences! Sellers if you have ranted about ebay's excessive fees, but were unable to find a viable, less expensive alternative, your solution has arrived! Created by a collector, for collectors, The Cardboard Connection is the new, fresh face of an industry that desperately needed a facelift. Join the next generation of collecting today at http://community.cardboardconnection.com/ !