In response to growing file sizes, many organizations are tightening email policies to minimize the effects of large file attachments on their networks
PALO ALTO, Calif. (PRWEB) January 2, 2008
"In response to growing file sizes, many organizations are tightening email policies to minimize the effects of large file attachments on their networks," said Yorgen Edholm, president and CEO of Accellion, Inc. "However, we caution that these policies often lead to the use of non-compliant and non-secure workarounds as a means to transfer files."
To help companies avoid many of the problems related to large file transfer, Accellion has created a list of the top 5 issues companies should consider:
5. Know your requirements. There is a difference between corporate and consumer offerings. If you are an enterprise customer, buy an enterprise solution -- there are distinct differences in the level of security needed for enterprise vs. consumer users.
4. Avoid IT overload. Pick a solution that easily integrates into your existing IT environment and requires minimal IT administration, such as an "install and forget it" application to transfer files.
3. Make it easy to transfer files. It is best if the solution is integrated directly into email applications or web interfaces, but without affecting size limitations. If a solution is not easy to use, users will find alternative -- often unsecured -- means for sending large files.
2. Be compliant. Pick a solution that allows for complete auditing and tracking of information entering or leaving the organization.
1. Secure your data. Accept no less than business-level security when choosing a file transfer solution. Automatic encryption and authentication check points that validate recipients provide an added level of security to show that confidential information has not been shared or exposed.
Secure File Transfer for Every Market
Where there is a requirement to transfer files promptly and securely, there is a need for a secure file transfer solution. This need is affecting businesses across nearly all industries including:
-- Advertising and Marketing: Sharing Big Ideas
Digital photos, graphics, advertisements design files, web designs - the world of advertising, marketing and PR has gone digital. Marketing and advertising companies implementing a secure file transfer solution are able to speed collaboration on ideas between colleagues and customers for a true competitive advantage.
-- Legal: Secure File Transfer for Litigation Support and E-discovery
The legal profession generates a tremendous amount of digital data for litigation support, e-discovery, depositions, contracts, court filings, exhibits, and legal briefs. In today's competitive environment, law firms cannot afford to have inefficient, cumbersome systems for accessing and sharing critical data.
-- Healthcare: Secure File Transfer for Enhanced Medical Care & Treatments
Whether delivering the highest-quality healthcare, performing clinical trials, developing new drugs and medical devices, making expert diagnoses, deciding on best course of treatment, sharing medical research, healthcare professionals need to be able to share information quickly. Implementing a secure file transfer solution enables these professionals to provide superior patient care while protecting the confidentiality of patient data as required by HIPAA (the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act).
-- AEC: From Blueprint to Construction
AEC professionals depend on very large CAD drawings to do their business. The ability to provide contractors with up-to-date drawings is essential to delivering a quality job, on budget and on schedule. Unfortunately, traditional methods of printing, shipping and delivery of drawings are time-consuming and expensive. And many AEC firms have experienced the costly mistakes that result from using documents that are the wrong version.
Secure file transfers solutions enable CAD drawings to be delivered reliably and securely from one desktop to another in seconds around the world.
For additional information regarding secure and efficient transfer of large files, especially for enterprise companies, visit Accellion at http://www.accellion.com or call +1(650) 739-0095.
Founded in 1999, Accellion, Inc., the premier provider of on-demand enterprise secure file transfer solutions, is headquartered in Palo Alto, California, with offices in North America, Asia and Europe.