Valentine's Day, despite the talk of being a mass-produced holiday, is not a time for one-size-fits-all gifts.
Santa Monica, CA (PRWEB) January 23, 2012
Whether shoppers boycott the holiday or soak themselves in red and pink all week, there is no doubt that Valentine’s Day gives an affectionate boost to the economy, while simultaneously putting a strain on the wallet. In 2011, the National Retail Federation reported Valentine’s Day spending to be up more than 12 percent from 2010, with the average person spending $116.21 on gifts. To help shoppers celebrate without the guilt of overspending, PromotionalCodes.com, an online coupon site that offers free online coupons and promotional codes from top brands, tasked its consumer savings team to provide tips for finding sweet savings on Valentine’s Day gifts:
- Go the homemade route. Whether it’s a Valentine’s Day poem, card or home-cooked meal, a homemade gift provides the benefit of being completely personalized to suit one’s taste. If set on going out on the town, venture to a café or restaurant for an after-dinner drink or dessert, and soak up the romantic atmosphere without draining the wallet.
- Take advantage of online offers and promotional codes. Buying gifts online can bring big savings, especially when using promotional codes at the checkout. In 2011, every hour spent searching for coupons was worth an estimated $100. Aggregator sites like PromotionalCodes.com, CouponWinner.com or PromoCodes.com make savings simple by organizing coupons and offers from top brands like Target, Sony, Home Depot and many more. Here are a few examples of savings on popular Valentine’s Day gifts:
o Find the perfect bouquet for less. Take 25% off Valentine’s Day flowers from FTD, or 15 percent off 1800 Flowers, plus same day delivery.
o Sweethearts will love a relaxing day at the spa from SpaFinder, which is accepted at more than 5,000 spas worldwide. Take 5% off orders over $75 with the option to email, print or ship for free.
o Gourmet hand-dipped chocolates are a Valentine’s Day favorite. Receive 15% off orders over $29 at Shari’s Berries, and 20% off orders over $49 from Fannie May.
o Capture memories from years’ past with a one-of-a-kind book. Score 50% off from photo books at Picaboo.com.
- Give helpfully. Brainstorm a list of things a partner normally handles, but dislikes: it could be laundry, dishes, walking the dog or shoveling snow. Make “vouchers” he/she can redeem to enlist help with the activity. Spice things up by creating a book of vouchers with romantic and relaxing activities, too.
- Head outside. Use the magic of the night to fuel some energy for ice skating, or build a bonfire and eat s’mores. Or put together a winter picnic with blankets and hot cocoa. Then head inside, defrost and snuggle up with a blanket for a movie night.
- Above all, give gifts that match the person. Do not waste money on stuffed animals and flowers if they will not be enjoyed. Valentine’s Day, despite the talk of being a mass-produced holiday, is not a time for one-size-fits-all gifts. Knowing a partner's real desires will express the meaning of the day, and could eliminate irrelevant and expensive purchases.
PromotionalCodes.com is a coupon savings website that provides thousands of free online coupons and promotional codes from top brand names like Macy’s, Target, Home Depot, Travelocity, Dell and many more. The site is developed by Santa Monica-based SurfMyAds.com, Inc., which also owns and operates Coupons.ca, Codes.co.uk, Codes.de, CouponWinner.com, PromoCodes.com, SexyLingerie.com, and myShoes.com, a shoe shopping website. The company has also ventured into the world of online production via ShoesTV. For more information, visit SurfMyAds.com.