Any business damaged by severe weather is advised to contact their insurance provider as soon as possible in the wake of the severe weather event.
Cleveland, OH (PRWEB) July 16, 2012
Restoration Local, one of the leading providers of water restoration services in the United States, is offering tips to small business owners for dealing with water damage problems resulting from this year’s record severe weather.
Any business damaged by severe weather is advised to contact their insurance provider as soon as possible in the wake of the severe weather event. Claims adjusters will prove invaluable when it comes to sorting out the damage and restoration steps that need to be taken. Business owners are also advised to collect receipts for all items damaged as well as producing photo documentation of the property to share with the agent.
Property insurance is a benefit to small businesses as it covers all damage and theft of the property as well as equipment that is a part of the business. Leaseholders should obtain their own insurance and not rely on whatever coverage their landlord may or may not have.
Business interruption insurance is also a suggested purchase since it covers the business for lost earnings as a result of damage from severe weather. This is especially valuable if the business is shut down for an extended period. Unfortunately, this type of coverage may not kick in for a certain number of days following the damage, so business owners should make sure they have sufficient funds to carry them through a period of a week or two in the event of a shutdown.
Businesses should also ask themselves the following questions to determine if they are in fact prepared for a severe weather disaster:
- Is the business prepared for unexpected disaster?
- Is there an emergency response plan in place, with all employees familiar with the plan and their responsibility?
- Are valuable documents and files backed up offsite? Information should include photos, receipts, insurance information, employee records, etc.
- Has the business installed fire and security alarms?
- Is the office space in good physical condition, with proper maintenance and upkeep?
- Are all policies up to date and does the level of coverage protect your investment?
Based in Cleveland OH, Restoration Local is a leader in water restoration, with service in 30 states. They are available 24/7 and all work is guaranteed.