WESTMINSTER, Colo. (PRWEB) February 13, 2019
This week the Weed Science Society of America (WSSA) honored more than two dozen individuals for their outstanding contributions to the field of weed science. The awards were presented during the organization’s annual meeting in New Orleans, Louisiana.
“This year’s honorees are actively spearheading innovations and advancing weed science through their research, teaching, publishing and outreach,” says Larry Steckel, 2019 annual meeting chair and incoming president of WSSA.
2019 winners include:
FELLOW AWARDS (WSSA’S HIGHEST RECOGNITION)
- Adam S. Davis, Ph.D., University of Illinois
- Dallas E. Peterson, Ph.D., Kansas State University
HONORARY WSSA MEMBER
- Pedro Jacob Christoffoleti, Ph.D., University of Sao Paulo
OUTSTANDING EXTENSION AWARD
- Stephen F. Enloe, Ph.D., University of Florida
OUTSTANDING RESEARCH AWARD
- Bruce Maxwell, Ph.D., Montana State University
OUTSTANDING TEACHER AWARD
- Karen A. Renner, Ph.D., Michigan State University
OUTSTANDING PAPER AWARD, INVASIVE PLANT SCIENCE AND MANAGEMENT
- Timing Aminopyralid to Prevent Seed Production Controls Medusahead (Taeniatherum caput-medusae) and Increases Forage Grasses.
- Matthew J. Rinella, U.S. Department of Agriculture-Agricultural Research Service
- Josh S. Davy, University of California Cooperative Extension
- Guy B. Kyser, University of California-Davis
- Fadzayi E. Mashiri, University of California Cooperative Extension
- Susan E. Bellows, U.S. Department of Agriculture-Agricultural Research Service
- Jeremy J. James, UC Sierra Foothill Research and Extension Center
- Vanelle F. Peterson, Dow AgroSciences
OUTSTANDING PAPER AWARD, WEED SCIENCE
- Genetically Engineered Herbicide-Resistant Crops and Herbicide-Resistant Weed Evolution in the United States.
- Andrew R. Kniss, Ph.D., University of Wyoming
OUTSTANDING PAPER AWARD, WEED TECHNOLOGY
- Michael J. Walsh, Ph.D., University of Sydney
- John C. Broster, Ph.D., Charles Sturt University
- Stephen B. Powles, Ph.D., University of Western Australia
OUTSTANDING GRADUATE STUDENT AWARD
- Thomas (Tommy) R. Butts, Ph.D. candidate, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
OUTSTANDING EARLY CAREER WEED SCIENTIST
- Todd Gaines, Ph.D., Colorado State University
OUTSTANDING INDUSTRY AWARD
- Rakesh Jain, Ph.D., Syngenta Crop Protection
OUTSTANDING REVIEWER AWARDS
- Paul Tseng, Ph.D., Mississippi State University (for Weed Science)
- Caleb Dalley, Ph.D., North Dakota State University (for Weed Technology)
- Jacob Barney, Ph.D., Virginia Tech (for Invasive Plant Science and Management)
PUBLIC SERVICE AWARD
- Donn Schilling, Ph.D. University of Georgia
EXCELLENCE IN JOURNALISM AWARD
- This year WSSA introduced a new Excellence in Journalism award to recognize individuals whose outstanding news coverage increases public understanding of weeds and their impact. The first recipient is Pamela Cole Smith, crops technology editor with DTN/The Progressive Farmer.
Biographical sketches of the winners are available in the 2019 annual meeting awards program, posted online on the WSSA website: http://wssa.net/2019/02/weed-science-society-of-america-announces-2019-award-winners/
About the Weed Science Society of America
The Weed Science Society of America, a nonprofit scientific society, was founded in 1956 to encourage and promote the development of knowledge concerning weeds and their impact on the environment. The Society promotes research, education and extension outreach activities related to weeds, provides science-based information to the public and policy makers, fosters awareness of weeds and their impact on managed and natural ecosystems, and promotes cooperation among weed science organizations across the nation and around the world. For more information, visit http://www.wssa.net.