Houston, TX (PRWEB) February 23, 2009
For people looking to lower their utility bills by reducing energy consumption, WhiteFence.com, the essential home services experts, offers these 8 tips to help shed the burden of high energy costs and make a positive impact on the environment at the same time:
1. Switch to appliances that have earned the ENERGY STAR seal of approval and save up to $75 a year in energy costs.
2. Take credit--After making energy-efficiency improvements at home this year, don't forget to claim tax credits for improvements like windows, insulation, water heaters and more!
3. Shopping and saving isn't just for groceries any more--Shoppers that reside in a state where energy deregulation gives the opportunity to choose an energy provider, take full advantage of the savings encouraged by competition! Enter an address at WhiteFence.com to shop and compare the latest electricity and natural gas prices to find the best deals.
4. Standard light bulbs use a lot more energy than compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFL). Switch from incandescent bulbs to CFLs and increase energy efficiency. CFLs use up to 75 percent less energy and can provide noticeable savings on a monthly utility bill.
5. Get a programmable thermostat and reduce energy consumption with pre-programmed settings when at work or away for extended periods. A programmable thermostat can potentially save hundreds of dollars per year on utilities.
6. Watch the water waste--A little bit goes a long way when it comes to water. In the bathroom, Reduce shower or bathing times and turn off faucets when not needed for immediate use. Run the dishwasher when it's full and increase cold-water washing to conserve precious resources and reduce monthly laundry costs.
7. Mind the gaps--Seal gaps and leaks around the home to keep the warm air in and the cold air out.
8. Get in the habit of taking a few extra seconds to shut down the computer and any other electronics that could be consuming electricity even when in sleep or standby modes. Start a routine of unplugging TVs, fans and stereos before leaving for work in the morning.
These eight simple things can help make a big difference in the monthly budget and the environment. WhiteFence.com can also help people compare, shop and connect essential home services like home phone, Internet, TV, electricity and more to find the best deals in their area and lower their monthly bills. People looking for additional information on reducing energy consumption can also visit the WhiteFence Home Services Blog for the latest news, tips, guides and more from industry experts looking to help families across the country make informed buying and money-saving decisions.
WhiteFence is a free service that helps people find the best deals on phone, Internet, television, electricity, natural gas and other home services. By simply entering a street address into the secure site, people looking to save money or start new service can find the most comprehensive list of plans available for their specific address from over 400 nationally recognized partners. As a trusted home service shopping source for 18 million people annually, WhiteFence makes it easy to establish service directly on the site in a few simple steps.
# # #