Phoenix, AZ (Vocus) October 17, 2009
Blinds Chalet reminds consumers that in Aug of this year, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), in cooperation with a number of popular window blind retailers, announced one of the largest collective recalls in the windows blinds industry to date. Six companies including Target, Pottery Barn Kids, IKEA, as well as smaller window blind companies or retailers, recalled nearly 5.5 million window blinds because of reports of three child deaths by strangulation and 7 near deaths*.
"There are still so many of the recalled window blinds and shades are still in use. I urge families to check their window treatments, especially if they were made by or purchased from one of the companies listed, and identify any potential hazards. Pull cords that are looped, or can be pulled from the middle of the blind and make a loop are dangerous for small children. Remove these treatments from your home and contact the retailer or manufacturer and inquire about the repair kits or refunds. Replace corded versions with cordless blinds and or cordless shades," says Chris Stanley at Blinds Chalet.
Recalled Blinds in August of 2009*:
- Vertical Land blinds and shades sold in Florida between 1992 and 2006. Call 800-423-8653 for more info and a free retrofit kit.
- Lewis Hyman oval roll-up blinds sold at retail stores from 1999 through 2003. Call Lewis Hyman for a free repair kit at 877-354-5457.
- Woolrich roman shades and oval roll-up blinds imported by Lewis Hyman Inc. sold exclusively at Target between 2006 and 2008. Call Lewis Hyman for a free repair kit at 877-354-5457.
- Roman shades from Pottery Barn Kids with exposed inner cords on the backside. Roman shades with a fabric covering over the cords are not being recalled. Call 1-800-492-1949 to receive a voucher for the purchase price of recalled window blinds.
- Melina roman blinds from IKEA Home Furnishings. Return them to any IKEA store for a full refund.
- Thermal Sailcloth and Matchstick bamboo roman shades from Target between 2008 - 2009 with exposed inner cords. Call 1-800-583-9845 for a free repair kit.
- Roller shades distributed by Lutron Electronics Co. Inc. at specialty dealers and Expo Design Centers from 200 through April of 2009 have a looped bead chain that should be attached to the floor or wall. Call 1-866-793-4270 for more information on this recall.
"If your blinds weren't purchased from a participating retailer or manufacturer, as a courtesy we offer instructions on our website on how to child proof your window blinds," says Stanley.
*Please note that no window blinds or shades sold by Blinds Chalet have been recalled. Blinds Chalet is a proponent of window blinds safety and is publishing this information as a public service and in support of National Window Covering Safety Month, a nationwide campaign by the U.S Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and the Window Covering Safety Council (WCSC) to increase cord-safety awareness.
For more information on Blinds Chalet or current trends in the industry contact Chris Stanley at info (at) blindschalet (dot) com or by phone at: 1-888-633-7840 or 480-633-7840. Or visit Blinds Chalet online at http://www.blindschalet.com.
Phone: 1-888-633-7840 or 480-633-7840
Email: info (at) blindschalet (dot) com
# # #