Send us your favorite photo of your pet, share a good story and help animal groups tackle pet overpopulation.
(PRWEB) February 07, 2013
The Humane Society of the United States is pleased to announce that the World Spay Day 2013 Pet Pageant has begun. Participants upload digital photos of their beloved companions and tell the world how their pets have improved their lives.
“The Pet Pageant is a great way for everyone to celebrate our furry friends this World Spay Day,” said Vicki Stevens, World Spay Day coordinator at The HSUS. “Send us your favorite photo of your pet, share a good story and help animal groups tackle pet overpopulation.”
Entrants are encouraged to share their pet's photo and story with their friends and family and ask them to vote for their pet. Entrants will compete in the Main Pageant, and, for a $5 entry fee, can choose to enter any of five optional categories, including Best Hair, Best Smile, Most Photogenic, Best Personality and Ugly-Cute. There are two ways to win big in the pageant: winners of the Judged awards are chosen by a panel of celebrity judges, and winners of the Popular Pet awards are determined by popular vote. Learn more by visiting humanesociety.org/petpageant.
This year’s celebrity judges are:
- Robin Layton, professional photographer whose work can also be seen in the book, “A Letter to My Dog”
- Seth Casteel, professional photographer and author of the New York Times best-selling photo book, “Underwater Dogs.”
- Tricia Helfer, TV/film actor, animal advocate and proud “parent” to several rescued and adopted cats.
There are two winners of the Main Pageant–Judged and Popular Pet–and 10 winners from the optional categories. Prizes include:
- A $1,000 grant for spay/neuter programs awarded by The HSUS to the World Spay Day Pet Pageant participating organization of the winner’s choice
- A personalized pet collar engraved with the pet’s name and the Pageant title the pet won
- A copy of “A Letter to My Dog”
- A copy of “Underwater Dogs”
- Photo featured on The HSUS homepage in April 2013
The Pageant opens Feb. 4 at noon EST; and ends March 15 at noon EDT. All Pageant donations and Optional Category entry fees benefit a grant program by The HSUS to help participating World Spay Day organizations continue their valuable spay and neuter work after World Spay Day 2013 ends. For detailed information about pageant prizes, including prizes for international winners, see our pageant rules.
The HSUS and Humane Society International coordinate World Spay Day by working with shelters, humane organizations, veterinary clinics and individual volunteers around the world to offer special spay-neuter events, deploy mobile spay-neuter clinics, raise money to subsidize spay-neuter surgeries, and increase awareness about the importance and benefits of spaying and neutering.
World Spay Day 2013 will take place on Feb. 26. Events in honor of World Spay Day also take place throughout the month of February, which is Spay/Neuter Awareness Month.
World Spay Day 2013 partners include the Doris Day Animal Foundation, the ASPCA, the House Rabbit Society, the Humane Alliance, the Humane Society Veterinary Medical Association, Petfinder, and PetSmart Charities®. World Spay Day 2013 is sponsored by Abaxis.