Lieberman Elected Head of School at Greenfield Hebrew Academy in Atlanta

Share Article

Matt Lieberman, son of Senator Joe Lieberman, named head of the Katherine and Jacob Greenfield Hebrew Academy of Atlanta, a community day school

The Greenfield Hebrew Academy’s Board of Trustees unanimously approved the appointment of Matt Lieberman as its new Head of School.

The Yale Law School alum is ecstatic to bring his passion for excellence in Jewish education to Atlanta’s oldest Jewish community day school, with its religiously, economically, and socially diverse student body. “By its nature,” Lieberman told GHA’s Board of Trustees at their meeting this week, “a community school is unlikely to be 100% of what everyone wants; but will be 90% of what everyone wants.” He continued, “It will more than make up for the other 10% with its ruach (spirit) of community and of Clal Yisrael (unity of the Jewish people).”

Lieberman shares his commitment to Jewish education with his father, the former Vice Presidential candidate, Senator Joe Lieberman (D-CT). Joe Lieberman made that clear at the Leadership Assembly of the Partnership for Excellence in Jewish Education (PEJE) last October, “I hope to share my sense that Jews are an eternal people….There’s no better way to create adults who will be part of that future than a Jewish day school education…”

Although Lieberman will officially join GHA in July, 2005, he will begin involving himself in the school immediately. Current Head of School, Dr. Elizabeth Cohen, who will work alongside him during the next school year to ensure a smooth transition, is pleased to see Lieberman taking the helm at Greenfield Hebrew Academy, “Someone whose passion and enthusiasm for the concept of community is a terrific fit with our mission as the community day school of Atlanta.”

Rodes Cole, of Korn/Ferry International—the No. 1 headhunting firm in the U.S. and worldwide—noted that it took a team effort between their Atlanta and New York offices and GHA to recruit Lieberman. “Obviously the most important initiative that the Board faced was picking GHA’s next Head of School,” explained Cole. “We view Matt as the prototype for Head of School. With his social and political skills, coupled with his passion for Jewish day school education…. Matt will lead GHA to the next level of excellence.”

Matt Lieberman, who will be relocating to Atlanta with his wife April, and daughters Tennessee, (7) and Willie D (6), is available for interview by phone.

# # #

The Katherine and Jacob Greenfield Hebrew Academy (http://www.ghacademy.org) has set the standard for Jewish education in Atlanta for over fifty years. Founded in 1953, it was the first Jewish day school to be accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and has been awarded many honors since. GHA prides itself on its ability to meet each child’s educational needs, so that each student receives the curriculum that is best suited for him or her. In addition to providing academic excellence, GHA enables its graduates to feel comfortable and competent in any Jewish environment. The Academy’s community orientation imbues its graduates with a love and appreciation of the unique values of the Jewish people, and focuses them on the need to assure Jewish continuity while learning to function at the highest levels in the community at large. Its student body, which will expand to 3 years old through eighth grade with the 2005-2006 year, comprises the full range of synagogue affiliations, religious traditions and socioeconomic levels, and comes from North Fulton, Cobb, Gwinnett, and DeKalb counties.

Share article on social media or email:

View article via:

Pdf Print

Contact Author

Wendy Hersh