BERKELY, CA. (PRWEB) May 25, 2006
Founded by former members of CNET’s TV.com team, Boompa.com launches as a social networking site for the auto / vehicle community where users can show off their rides online and find guides and parts to improve them.
“There simply isn’t a place for your average driveway tinkerer to find out how to improve their rides,” said Ethan Lance, Co-Founder of Boompa.com. “With all the options the web has provided us on what vehicle to buy, it’s funny that I can’t figure out what speaker system to put in my Audi A4 once I’ve driven it home, let alone what muffler to put on it. Right now the only way people find this information is through some guy selling you their product at the store or through word of mouth. We plan on changing that.”
Ethan, and his partner Dave Snider, have years of experience in building online communities like Boompa.com around focused audiences. As the Site Architect of CNET’s Entertainment division Dave was responsible for leading the launch of both MP3.com and TV.com. Now, he’s trying to create the same encyclopedic gateways for vehicle enthusiasts
“Boompa.com is for all things that ride, fly, float of pedal. We’re not just for cars,” mentions Dave. “Our vision is to take the mystery out of what’s under the hood and why a mechanic charges so much for a simple problem. Sharing this kind of information online with pictorial guides is the only way we can take the fear out of these complex machines. We’re really excited to see what kind of guides people will create.”
Features of Boompa.com include:
- Member Profiles - Users can upload pictures of their past and present Autos, Bikes, ATVS, Motorcycles and Scooters. Members can also detail their specific modifications based on price, looks and ease of use.
- Guides – Printable, step by step pictorial guides created by people in their own garages. Categorized by how hard each task is to accomplish, there is something to find for any skill level.
- Vehicle Specific Message Boards – Rather then be contained within the usual “Message Boards” Boompa.com breaks out discussion subjects specific to model. If you just want to talk about the Honda Civic and nothing else, you can.
- Database of Modifications and Parts – Boompa.com is building the world’s largest parts database in the world letting users know which part works on which vehicle and how others have specifically used a part, be it new tires or a muffler, in their rides.
- Steal this Site – Boompa.com’s vehicle database is provided back to the community free of charge through a Creative Commons license. Developers can take certain content from the site and create new projects.
- User Submission -- The site is powered by an advanced user submission engine that allows users to add to the site’s roster of plane, auto, ATV, motorcycle and scooter models on the fly. Each day more vehicles get added and covered.
For more information or to put your ride online, visit http://www.boompa.com.
# # #