Van Nuys, CA (PRWEB) October 31, 2006
Swimming pools are great for having fun in the sun, but if you live in a more temperate clime and not in one of the areas of the country where sunshine (and warm weather) are constant, it's time to prepare your pool for winter.
Guardian Pool Fence Systems, Inc., a national leader in the pool fencing industry, has a number of suggestions for keeping your pool safe and protected during the winter months. Covering the pool (and installing a leaf net) is a good place to begin. But there is much more that pool owners can do.
According to Steve Sadinsky, Guardian's CEO, "Preparing your pool for winter will save you money and keep your valuable property from being damaged. This will prevent leaves and other debris from becoming a problem pool; it can cut expenses for chemicals and electricity in half, as it eliminates much of the normal maintenance procedure."
It is still important that some minimal maintenance be done. If a pool is winterized properly, necessary chemicals are kept in balance and staining, scaling, and equipment damage can be prevented. Failure to do this can be expensive.
Here is a handy list of the steps you can take to get your pool ready for cold weather:
- Clean the pool thoroughly – brush and vacuum to get rid of dirt and other debris
- Fill up the pool with chemically treated water – nearly to the point of overflowing
- The total alkalinity level in the pool should be kept in the 80 - 120 ppm range, depending on the sanitizer used
- The pH the range should be maintained at between 7.4 to 7.6. (Low or high pH water can harm the pool finish while it's covered.)
- The Calcium Hardness level should be in the 200 - 400 ppm range
- Keep the chlorine in the pool at recommended levels
- Turn the pool filter on for 2-4 hours per day
- Inspect the pool at least once a month to make certain there are no changes in the color of the water, there is no staining, and no scaling has begun
If the temperature is likely to fall below freezing, there are other measures you should take. Check with local dealers to learn more.
"Pool safety is a year-round concern," says Sadinsky, "even in the off-season. Protecting your pool with proper fencing is a good idea in the winter as well as when the weather is warm."
About Guardian Pool Fence Systems, Inc.
Van Nuys, California-based Guardian Pool Fence Systems, Inc. is the leader in pool fence design and manufacturing since 1992. The company supports a nationwide dealer and installer network trained specifically to handle the safety guidelines necessary for true safe installations. Guardian Pool Fence can be reached at (800) 366 - SAFE (7233) or by visiting the site at http://www.guardianpoolfence.com.
RichContent is a product development, marketing and PR company located in Blaine, Washington. The company is known for "productizing" people and technologies quickly and affordably, with an emphasis on high-velocity, short time-to-market and time-to-money programs. Helping launch Time Magazine's most popular sports product of 2003, the Trikke cambering scooter, and 2005's Yahoo Big Idea Product StairCycle. Emphasizing Online PR and marketing programs for online marketers, RichContent has also developed and launched over three dozen additional products and services since 1999. The company can be reached at 360.312.4312 or the RichContent Web Site.
# # #