These new references offer a powerful resource for students who do better in an interactive learning environment. They also offer educators multimedia solutions that are available online from anywhere, 24/7.
CHICAGO, IL (PRWEB) June 1, 2009
World Book has introduced World Book Digital Libraries, a new collection of online, interactive resources that complement World Book's newest print reference sets. The first World Book Digital Libraries are Living Green, Early Peoples, and Inventions and Discoveries.
"World Book Digital Libraries are an exciting approach we are taking to help educators and students alike," said Patti Ginnis, chief marketing officer for World Book. "These new references offer a powerful resource for students who do better in an interactive learning environment. They also offer educators multimedia solutions that are available online from anywhere, 24/7."
Each library features all content from the companion print set as well as videos and animations, interactivities, Web sites, lesson plans, curriculum correlations to state and provincial standards, and links to and from encyclopedic content. Key features of the World Book Digital Libraries include:
- Easy-to-read content that helps students understand core curriculum topics;
- A translation tool that generates content into 13 languages for better comprehension;
- A text-to-speech feature allowing students to highlight text and hear it read aloud;
- Video tutorials, animations, and interactivities to engage students and help visual learners grasp difficult concepts;
- Lesson plans and reading comprehension questions, which enable teachers to gauge students' understanding of key concepts; and
- Correlation to state and provincial curriculum standards and benchmarks.
World Book Digital Libraries Enhance Companion Print Sets
Each digital library has a companion print set, which allows students and teachers to choose the best format for them.
- The Living Green Digital Library offers students a comprehensive overview of environmental issues and current efforts to reduce human impact on the environment. Key topics include Pollution, Green Transportation, Green Buildings, Producing and Obtaining Food, and more. The companion Living Green print set was published earlier this year.
- The Early Peoples Digital Library explores the history of ancient cultures such as the Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, Native Americans, and Chinese. Each civilization or culture is examined from a variety of perspectives, including its rise, social structure, religion and beliefs, advances in science and the arts, daily life, and the culture's legacy in the modern world. The Early Peoples 16-volume print set is being introduced simultaneously with the digital library.
- The Inventions and Discoveries Digital Library introduces students to the transformative impact of inventions and discoveries that continue to shape our world today. Information is arranged chronologically within the subject areas. Topics covered include: Architecture and Engineering, The Arts, Communication, Industry and Manufacturing, Medicine, Personal and Household Items, Transportation, Warfare, and more. The 12-volume Inventions and Discoveries print set is being introduced with the digital library.
Ordering, Availability, and Special Pricing
The World Book Digital Libraries are available now from World Book's school and library sales force at 800-975-3250 (U.S.) or 800-837-5365 (Canada) and from the school and library ordering site (http://www.worldbookonline.com/sales). Discount pricing is available for customers purchasing a digital and print version of the same reference together.
About World Book
World Book, Inc. sets the standard in publishing accurate, current, and reliable reference and learning materials for children and adults. Based in Chicago, World Book is committed to creating educational products that meet the highest standards of editorial excellence in print and online. This commitment has resulted in a wide range of products including the number-one selling The World Book Encyclopedia and the World Book Web, which is the most comprehensive and authoritative online solution to meet the diverse learning needs of students and includes World Book Student, World Book Advanced, World Book Discover, and World Book Kids, as well as French- and Spanish-language references. World Book (http://www.worldbook.com) is a Scott Fetzer company, a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway, Inc.
Jennifer Parello, 312-819-6558
Mary Jung, 773-429-0940
# # #