Los Angeles, CA (PRWEB) March 3, 2010
Top organizing experts and celebrity presenters Peter Walsh (“The Oprah Winfrey Show”, “Clean Sweep”), Julie Morgenstern (Author and Time Management Expert), Dorothy Breininger (“Dr. Phil”, “Hoarders”), Hellen Buttigieg (Author and Host of HGTV’s “Neat”), Monica Ricci (“MISSION: Organization”), Jodie Watson (“Real Simple. Real Life”) and Lissanne Oliver (Australian Organizing Expert and host of “Better Homes & Gardens”, “Life on the Lawn”) scheduled time to celebrate at this year’s Fifth Annual Los Angeles Organizing Awards at the Historic Raleigh Studios, Hollywood, California.
Almost 200 celebrity organizers, industry professionals and members of the public assembled at the Saturday, January 30th gala, which was hosted by actress and comedian Kim Coles. Throughout the evening, Coles humorously shared her personal experiences anticipating working with a professional organizer as well her own battle with time management and productivity.
Also in attendance were representatives from various media outlets including TV Guide and the LA Times who were there to interview Dorothy Breininger, producer and star of the A&E hit Television show “Hoarders”. Jinah Kim of KNBC and MSNBC Los Angeles also conducted interviews on the Red Carpet. The gala event was a celebration and culmination of national “Get Organized Month,” which is held every January.
A total of twenty-three awards were presented - nine awards for organizing products and retailers, seven awards for organizing services, five awards to organizing professionals and two awards to media outlets. Finalist names, web links and official rules are available online at: http://www.organizingawards.com.
Avery Dennison Special Recognition Award:
Organization Expert for Avery Dennison and member of NAPO-LA, Jodie Watson, presented the “2010 Avery Dennison Special Recognition Award” to the A&E hit Television Show “Hoarders”.
The real life television show “Hoarders” is a fascinating and graphic look inside the lives of people whose inability to part with their belongings is so out of control that they are on the verge of personal crisis. The show depicts how they are able to confront and overcome their challenges through the efforts of medical professionals and professional organizing experts who specialize in chronic disorganization. Shows like this not only focus attention on the plight of hoarders, but also demonstrate vividly how the organization industry itself can help society improve. It is for these contributions that Avery Dennison and NAPO Los Angeles recognized “Hoarders” (A&E) with the 2010 Avery Dennison Special Recognition Award.
Other highlights of the night included two fabulous live performances by singer/songwriter, actress and NAPO-LA member, Fay Wolf, and BCPO® President and Cabaret performer, Audrey Lavine. The evening also included various videos and a short film created for the Awards Ceremony.
Celebrity Award Presenters Included:
- Kim Coles: Actress and Comedian “In Living Color, ” “Living Single”
- Julie Morgenstern: Organizing and time management expert, business productivity consultant, speaker and author, “SHED Your Stuff, Change Your Life: A Four-Step Guide to Getting Unstuck”, “Organizing from the Inside out” and “Never Check Email in the Morning” to name a few
- Peter Walsh: Resident organizing expert, "The Oprah Winfrey Show” and “Clean Sweep”; author, "Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat?" and "It's All Too Much”
- Hellen Buttigieg: Author/Host of HGTV’s “Neat”
- Lissanne Oliver: Melbourne, Australia-based professional organizer and author; featured organizing expert on “Better Homes & Gardens” and “Your Life on the Lawn” on Australian television
- Monica Ricci: Professional organizer on HGTV’s “MISSION: Organization”; spokesperson; author of “Organize Your Office In No Time”
- Jodie Watson: Organization expert on TLC’s “Real Simple. Real Life.” and Organizing Consultant, Avery Products
- Dorothy Breininger: Organizing Expert and Producer on A&E's "Hoarders; Life Coach on "Dr. Phil Show”; author, "Chicken Soup for the Soul"
Other Award Presenters & Attendees:
- Chantale Bordonaro: President, NAPO Los Angeles
- Katherine Macey: Vice President, NAPO Los Angeles
- Chris McKenry: Founder, Los Angeles Organizing Awards; Director-at-Large, NAPO; Past President, NAPO Los Angeles
- Laura Leist: National President, NAPO
- Linda Levine-Quackenbush: Event Chair, 2010 Los Angeles Organizing Awards
- Standolyn Robertson: Immediate Past President, NAPO; organizing expert, A&E’s “Hoarders”
- Barry Izsak: Past President, NAPO
- Sandy Stelter: Treasurer, NAPO
- Jill Revitsky: Secretary, NAPO; 2010 Awards Nominee
- Angela Wallace: Director-at-Large, NAPO; Immediate Past President, NAPO-SFBA
- Allan Young: Associate Member Director, NAPO; CEO and Co-founder, ShelfGenie
- Michelle Smith Aiken: 2010 Awards Committee Member; West Coast Sales Manager, ShelfGenie
- Kit Anderson: President, National Study Group on Chronic Disorganization (NSGCD)
- Audrey Levine: President, The Board of Certification for Professional Organizers (BCPO®)
- Emily Wilska: Author, “Knack, Organizing Your Home”
- Valentina Sgro: Author, "Patience and the Porsche," "Organize Your Family's Schedule... In No Time"
- Robin Davi: Past President, NAPO Los Angeles
- John Trosko: Immediate Past President, NAPO Los Angeles; contributing author “The Experts Guide To Doing Things Faster”
- Beverly Clower and Ann Gambrell: NAPO Founders
- Joshua Zerkel: President, NAPO San Francisco Bay Area
- Gwynnae Bryd: President, NAPO Sacramento
- Jackie Tiani: President, NAPO Chicago
- Courtney Shaver: Public Relations Manager, The Container Store
- Lorie Marrero: Author of “The Clutter Diet: The Skinny on Organizing Your Home and Taking Control of Your Life;” creator of ClutterDiet.com
- Deborah Shearer: Vice President Marketing & Merchandising, Organize.com
- Terry Shearer: Founder, Organize.com
- Linda Koopersmith: Organizing expert and television host; author of “The Beverly Hills Organizer's Home Organizing Bible”
- Barb Schmidt: Senior Account Manager, Esselte
- Gus Gougas: Partner/President, OrganizIT!
- Heidi Chianta: 2009 Awards Recipient, “Volunteer of the Year”
- Kay Wade: Vice President of Design, Closet Factory Los Angeles
- Jaime Dietenhofer: Founder, Garage Envy
Award Categories with Recipients:
- “Best Organizing Product Retailer” – The Container Store
- “Best Closet Design Firm” – California Closets
- “Best Garage Design Firm” – OrganizIT!
- “Best Office Organizing Product” – SureHook Hanging Folder by Pendaflex
- “Best Home Organizing Product” – ShelfGenie
- “Best Organizing Website or Blog” – Simplify 101
- “Most Valuable Educational Resource” – NAPO National Conference
- “Most Helpful Organizing Technology” – IPhone by Apple
- “The Green Award for Most Eco-Friendly Organizing Product” – Method Pink Grapefruit All-Purpose Cleaner
- “The Green Award for Most Eco-Friendly Organizing Service” – Sara Getzkin, Hands On! Organizing Services
- “Best Time Management Expert” – Julie Morgenstern, Julie Morgenstern Enterprises
- “Philanthropy Award” – Leslie Haber, An Organized Life
- “Best Show Incorporating Organizing on National Television” – neat (HGTV Canada/Discovery Home Channel)
- “Best National Makeover Reality Television Program” – neat (HGTV Canada/Discovery Home Channel)
- “Best Organizing Book” - Hellen Buttigieg, ‘Organizing Outside the Box’
- “Best Publication Featuring Organizational Information” – Real Simple Magazine
- “Best Organizer as Coach or Mentor” – Elizabeth Hagen
- “Most Innovative Organizer” (NAPO-LA Member vote only) – Dorothy Breininger, Delphi Center for Organization
- “Most Supportive or Organizer-Friendly Charity” (NAPO-LA Member vote only) – National Council of Jewish Women – Los Angeles
- “The Special Recognition Award” (NAPO-LA Board Member vote only) – ‘Hoarders’ (A&E)
- Volunteer of the Year Award (NAPO-LA Board Member vote only) – Linda Levine-Quackenbush
- Raising the Bar Award (NAPO-LA Board Member vote only) – Leslie Haber, An Organized Life
- The Leading Edge Award (NAPO-LA Board Member vote only) – Robin Davi, Simply Arranged
Credits, Sponsors and Gift Bags:
All proceeds from the Awards benefit the National Association of Professional Organizers, Los Angeles Chapter (NAPO-LA) for its chapter educational programming. NAPO-LA is a not-for-profit organization meeting IRS Tax Code 501(c) 3 requirements.
The Awards’ were produced by NAPO-LA with production support by the Dave Linden Group, Inc. Avery Dennison was Presenting Sponsor. Additional sponsorship support was provided by Hornburg Jaguar West Hollywood. Event video produced by Corp Shorts and hosted by correspondent Jinah Kim, of KNBC and MSNBC Los Angeles. All guests received gift bags, which were filled with essential organizing supplies, gift certificates and vendor samples from top brands including Presenting Sponsor Avery Dennison. A complete list is available upon request. Table Sponsors for the evening included Avery Dennison, The Delphi Center for Organization, Get It Together LA!, OrganizingLA and Organize.com.
"Holiday in Hollywood" Giveaway:
One lucky winner at the Awards received a certificate good for a weekend use of a 2010 Jaguar XF, courtesy Hornburg Jaguar West Hollywood. Also presented to the winner was a two-night complementary stay at the Renaissance Hollywood Hotel & Spa.
About Avery Dennison Office Products:
Avery Dennison Office Products (http://www.avery.com) markets products under the well-known Avery brand name and is one of the world's leading manufacturers of self-adhesive labels for laser and ink jet printers, labeling software, binders, sheet protectors, index and tab dividers and other office, home, and school-related supplies. Avery Dennison Office Products, a business unit of Avery Dennison Corporation, is based in Brea, California. For more information about Avery-brand products, consumers can visit the Avery Dennison Worldwide Office Products Web site at http://www.avery.com or call the Avery Dennison Consumer Service Center at 1-800-GO-AVERY (1-800-462-8379).
About the Organizing Awards:
The Los Angeles Organizing Awards were introduced in 2006 by the Los Angeles chapter of the National Association of Professional Organizers (NAPO-LA) to honor professional organizers, organizing retailers, organizing products services & resources, charities, technology providers, authors and the media for their contributions to the organizing industry. The Awards conclude “National Get Organized Month.”
About Raleigh Studios Hollywood:
Located in the heart of Hollywood, Raleigh Studios is the longest continuously operating movie studio in the United States. Raleigh commenced operations in 1915 as "Famous Players Fiction Studios" with a Mary Pickford production - one of the first features to be filmed on the historic site. The lot since then has hosted a who's who list of entertainment industry pioneers including Charlie Chaplin, Douglas Fairbanks, Walt Disney and Betty Davis in what has become a hub of television, feature film and music video production.
Organizing Awards Committee:
Members of the 2009 Los Organizing Awards Committee included: Katherine Macey, Linda Levine-Quackenbush, Erin Haas, John Trosko, Lori Gersh, Christie Gelsomino, Heather Furlong, Michelle Smith-Aiken, Arianna Gonzalez, Dolores Kaytes, Rosalind Lakomy, Robin Davi, Amanda Hughes and Gail Gray.
About NAPO-Los Angeles:
The Los Angeles chapter of the National Association of Professional Organizers (NAPO-LA) is a group of 150 professional organizers and associate members dedicated to helping individuals and businesses bring order and efficiency to their lives. The Founding Chapter of the National Association of Professional Organizers, "The Organizing Authority®," our mission is to develop, lead and promote professional organizers and the organizing industry since 1985. The chapter produces the Los Angeles Organizing Expo as well as the Los Angeles Organizing Awards and is the recipient of the 2008 NAPO National President's Award for innovative contributions to the organizing industry. For details visit http://www.napola.org or http://www.organizingawards.com.
NAPO-Los Angeles, Director of Marketing
Telephone: (805) 577-8267
# # #