Malvern, PA (PRWEB) March 11, 2013
HMP Communications Holdings, LLC, a leader in healthcare communications and education, is proud to announce its abstract award winners and scholarship recipients for the upcoming Symposium on Advanced Wound Care (SAWC) Spring conference to be held in Denver, CO from May 1-5, 2013. These winners round out the program for the Denver-based show and further establish SAWC’s Spring and Fall conferences as the nation’s largest and most respected interdisciplinary wound care meetings.
The abstracts were selected from more than 350 submissions and blind-scored by a panel of 24 judges, all of whom are experts in wound care. The 2013 abstract winners are:
Highest Scoring Oral Abstracts (first authors listed only):
- 1st place – “Inflammation in Diabetic Foot Ulcers,” Nanjin Park, DPM
- 2nd place – “Debridement of Venous Leg Ulcers with Low Frequency, High Intensity, Contact Ultrasound: Results of a Randomized Clinical Outcome Trial,” Martin Wendelken, DPM, RN
- 3rd place – “Re-amputation After Minor Foot Amputation in Diabetic Patients: Risk Factors Leading to Limb Loss,” Vincent Nerone, DPM PGY-III
- “Inflammation in Diabetic Foot Ulcers,” Nanjin Park, DPM
- “In a Pilot Study of Patients with Spinal Cord Injuries, Far-Red Light at 670 Nanometers Accelerated Wound Area Reduction,” Edwin P. Monroy, PT, DPT, CLT, SCI/D
- “Adipose-Derived Stem Cells Transdifferentiate Into Stratified Keratinocyte-Like Cells in the Presence of Ca+ and EGF,” Claudia Chavez-Munoz, MD, PhD
Highest Scoring Poster in Category (first authors listed only):
- Case Study – “Use of Cyanoacrylate-Based Skin Barrier in Protection of Skin Around Tracheostomy,” Martha Fjelde Ondrejko, RN, BSN, CWOCN
- Laboratory Research – “Modular Biocompatible In Vivo Bioreactor for Tissue Engineering,” Claudia Chavez-Munoz, MD, PhD
- Information/Educational Report – “Barriers and Facilitators to Evidence-Based Pressure Ulcer Prevention and Treatment for Hospital Inpatients,” Toba Miller, RN, MScN, MHA, GNC(C), CETN(C)
- Clinical Research – “An Assessment of Sacral Pressures in Two Seated Positions,” Stephannie Miller, BA
2013 SAWC Spring Scholarship Recipients
Launched in April 2012 and selected by prominent wound care groups such as the Association for the Advancement of Wound Care (AAWC), the American Podiatric Association (APMA) and the American Physical Therapy Association’s Clinical Electrophysiology & Wound Management Section (APTA-CEWM), the SAWC scholarship program honors candidates in six different categories. The 2013 SAWC Spring scholarship winners are:
- Wound Healing Research – Susan R. Opalenik, PhD
- Wound Healing Fellow – Devn Frandsen, DO
- Wound Care Physician – Humberto J. Villalvazo, MD
- Wound Care Nursing – Jessica Browning, LPN
- Wound Care Therapist – Stephanie Woelfel-Dyess, PT, MPT, CWS, FACCWS
- Wound Care Podiatrist – Andrew Belpedio, DPM
“The SAWC scholarship program is a way to thank the many clinical specialists, their societies and associations who advocate for optimal care and treatments for patients with wounds," said Jeremy Bowden, VP/Group Publisher of the Wound Care Division at HMP Communications.
The scholarship winners will be recognized at SAWC Spring’s annual VIP party on Thursday, May 2, 2013 at the Colorado Convention Center.
Visit the SAWC Spring site at http://www.sawcspring.com.
About HMP Communications Holdings, LLC
HMP Communications Holdings, LLC, a collaborative formed by HMP Communications, LLC and North American Center for Continuing Medical Education, LLC (NACCME), is a leader and innovator in healthcare communications. The company produces some of the industry’s most well respected brands of multimedia, live events and accredited continuing education programs. HMP distributes award-winning content across a wide spectrum of healthcare audiences who can access its brands anywhere, everywhere, at any time. Visit http://www.hmpholdings.com for more information.
Tags: SAWC, Symposium on Advanced Wound Care, wound care, wounds, HMP