Minimizing risk is the best way to keep a fire from starting in an apartment, so Protect Your Bubble, renter’s insurance brand, has a list of some wise ways to keep an apartment safe from a fire.
Atlanta, GA (PRWEB) March 12, 2013
There are few things in life more horrifying and dangerous than a fire. No one ever intentionally starts a fire, but accidents can and do happen. Minimizing risk is the best way to keep a fire from starting in an apartment, so Protect Your Bubble, renter’s insurance brand, has a list of some wise ways to keep an apartment safe from a fire.
Before signing a lease with an apartment complex, perform a quick fire inspection and be sure the apartment is up to the fire code. Contacting a local fire department and asking for a checklist is not a bad idea, or consult the Internet for one also. Ultimately, a simple walkthrough is the best way to be absolutely certain. Look for these key elements in particular:
- Check smoke detectors – most smoke detectors are hard wired into the building and have battery backups. Test them before renting and if any do not work, bring it to the attention of the landlord.
- Fire extinguishers – The exterior should have at least one between buildings and there should certainly be at least one in the kitchen. Check the dates for the last testing and if they are not certified and tested, make a note to the landlord.
After Moving In
Prevention is the key after signing a lease and settling in. Whether a family or single person, learn where the fire escapes are and become very familiar with them. Do not trust a memory of where the ladder may be, so be sure to practice escapes at night, in inclement weather and during the day. The more practice that is done, the quicker and safer an escape during a fire. Otherwise things to do after moving into the new apartment:
- Cooking – If the stove is on, eyes should be on the stove. Stepping away for just a second to the bathroom or to take a phone call is tantamount to disaster. Turn the stove off if necessary. There is nothing cooking that cannot sit for a few minutes.
- Heating appliances – Keep everything combustible at least five feet away at all times, or better yet, do not use secondary heating appliances at all.
- Grilling and barbecue – Good times and barbeque go hand in hand, but doing so on the patio or balcony can be dangerous. Go to a park or open space to enjoy outside cooking; it will be much safer and enjoyable in the long run.
In Case of a Fire
It is never planned to have a fire in an apartment or home, but in the unlikely chance it happens, use common sense and remain calm.
- Get families out and to a safe location; stay there.
- Use the stairs only; never use an elevator.
- Check doors before opening them; if it is cool, open slowly and leave quickly. If the door is warm, seal it and find another exit immediately.
Protect Your Bubble’s Renter’s Insurance plans protect customers against theft, fire, lightning, wind, hail, smoke, vandalism, water damage liability (where applicable), earthquakes and power surges in most states. Content limits start at $10,000, with personal liability limits under $100,000. Visit ProtectYourBubble.com for a quick quote today.
About Protect Your Bubble
Protect Your Bubble is a specialty insurance brand, offering insurance for gadgets, pets and
travel - all for today’s modern consumer.
- Travel - Plans provide a variety of coverage for single and multi-trip options including cancellation, interruption, medical/dental, baggage, rental car and much more like 24/7 emergency services including, consult a doctor, roadside assistance, restaurant reservations and even set up tee times through their concierge services.
- Rental Car - For those hitting the open road in a rental car, it’s important to remember that rental car protection is a great way to cover damage, trip emergencies, cancellations and interruptions. Protect Your Bubble provides rental car protection for only $7.99 per day.
- Gadget - Smartphone and tablet insurance covers loss, theft and water damage and consumers will receive a replacement device in 24 hours. Home gadget warranties provide coverage for mechanical breakdown and accidental damage for laptops, game consoles and cameras as well as mechanical breakdown for appliances, televisions, desktop computers, home theater systems and more.
- Pet - Plans provide up to 90 percent reimbursement for covered vet charges for eligible accidents, illnesses, hereditary conditions and behavioral treatments and alternative therapies. They allow owners to visit any licensed vet in the country. Additionally, annual deductible options start at $100 which only need to be met once per plan year.
- Renters – Plans protects customers against theft, fire, lightning, wind, hail, smoke, vandalism, water damage liability (where applicable), earthquakes and power surges in most states. Content limits start at $10,000, with personal liability limits under $100,000.
- ID Theft Protection – The program offers a full array of prevention services, including 24/7 access to credit reporting and education about identity theft protection. Detection services include credit and identity monitoring, both important early warning tools that notify customers about potential fraud involving their credit or identity. To resolve any identity theft incidents, certified resolution specialists are available 24/7 to work directly with customers to manage the entire resolution process from start to finish.
Headquartered in Atlanta, Protect Your Bubble is available online, via mobile app or phone, allowing consumers to understand, buy and, most importantly, protect what enriches their lives. Find Protect Your Bubble USA on Facebook or Twitter (@PYBUSA) or visit protectyourbubble.com for more information or to get a two-minute quote today.
Protect Your Bubble USA