Toledo, OH (PRWEB) March 18, 2013
Toledo news channel WTOL announced Monday morning that there were several crashes, backups and delays for the morning commute because of the inclement weather. Because of these poor and icy conditions during a time when many people must be on the road, car accident attorney Charles Boyk wanted to share his top driving safety tips for icy weather. These are his top 7 safety tips:
1. The first step is simple and that is unless you absolutely must, do not go on the roads. Wait for the plows to clear the roads and the conditions to clear up.
2. Allow plenty of time to get to your destination. Leave early and do not rush.
3. When driving on icy roads, leave yourself much more room to stop. A general rule is about 3 times more space than usual.
4. Don't go heavy on your brakes. Breaking slowly will help to avoid skidding and help keep your brakes from locking up.
5. If your rear tires skid, steer in the direction that you want the front tires to go. If you over-correct, just ease your steering to the other side. You might have to go back and forth a few times before your vehicle is completely under control.
6. Don't forget to drive with your lights on. You will want to do everything you can to increase your visibility.
7. While driving in icy conditions, do not use cruise control or overdrive.