Drivers should make sure that they run some simple vehicle checks before setting off
(PRWEB UK) 5 March 2013
Not only do Bank Holidays bring with them a greater risk of accidents, they also bring about a higher possibility of breakdowns and delays. Motorists who intend to be on the roads during this busier period need to be vigilant behind the wheel and plan for their journeys by taking a few simple precautions.
Andrew Goulborn, Commercial Director at popular car insurance comparison site Tiger.co.uk, said: “Drivers should make sure that they run some simple vehicle checks before setting off, things like checking oil and water levels, running tyre pressure checks and checking the wear on the tyre tread. As a precaution, it is wise to have your car insurance details and breakdown membership number nearby. Hopefully you won’t need them, but it is always better to be prepared."
It is not just car drivers who are at risk, though. As the weather warms up and the days start to get longer, motorcyclists are starting to bring their bikes out of hibernation. There are some simple measures which can help all motorists avoid getting into a jam over the busy holiday period.
Here are some top tips for travelling over the Bank Holiday weekend, courtesy of Tiger.co.uk:
1) If your vehicle has been relatively dormant over the winter months consider having a service.
2) Check the traffic reports before you begin your journey and make sure you plan your route accordingly.
3) Make sure you set off with enough time to reach your destination – assume that roads will be busy.
4) If you want to share the driving with friends or family members, think about taking out temporary motor insurance to avoid affecting your own no-claims bonus in the event of an accident.
5) Have plenty of food and drink on-board in case of delays.
6) Make sure you have oil and water topped up before you set off.
7) Check you have enough fuel! Avoid getting caught up on a busy motorway with low fuel levels. Remember, driving more slowly uses less fuel. Driving safely pays!
Tiger.co.uk is a trading name of Call Connection Ltd. Tiger.co.uk is a UK based, independent motor insurance comparison site, offering insurance quotes from over 150 insurance brands. Call Connection Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority (number 308374).