“Precautionary use of cell phones could lessen a user’s radiofrequency EMF exposure by a factor of up to 10,000.” - California Department of Public Health
PALO ALTO, Calif. (PRWEB) November 19, 2018
The study, available online October 3rd, 2018 by the journal Environmental Research, suggests all consumers especially children and pregnant woman should take extra precautions when they see only one or two "bars" of reception on their mobile phones.
The authors state that “precautionary use of cell phones could lessen a user’s radiofrequency EMF exposure by a factor of up to 10,000.”
In the research paper titled, “Real World Cellular Phone Radio-Frequency Electromagnetic Field Exposure,” the scientists tested the microwave radiofrequency radiation levels from almost two dozen different cell phones in “real-world” situations to understand the difference in cell phone radiation exposures people can get in different situations.
The paper concludes with “straightforward” recommendations that the public should avoid using cell phones when signals are weak, and keep distance between the phone and body at all times, even in areas with strong network signals.
“We now know that there is “Clear Evidence of Cancer” from Cell Phone Radiation – U.S. National Toxicology Program's 30 million dollar study which is the world’s largest most carefully done study ever done on long-term wireless health risks,” said RF Safe Corporation's Founder, John Coates, “It’s more important now than ever before that people take steps to reduce microwave radiation exposure. There is strong scientific evidence supporting that under current FCC safety standards many wireless products are potentially hazardous and the risk of excessive exposure is much higher when using the phone with a weak signal connected to the wireless network. The key is understanding simple actions such as using speakerphone or texting adds distance between the body and device, or using an air-tube headset when voice calls need to be private will reduce exposure".
The study finds that:
- Microwave exposures depend not only on the distance from the user that phones are held but also the strength of the signal.
- Cell phones used in areas of weak reception can result in microwave radiation emissions 10,000-fold more intense than in regions with strong network signals.
- When used with a weak signal (1 to 2 bars), radiation exposures from all phones were higher intensity by up to four orders of magnitude in comparison to exposures from a strong signal (4 to 5 display bars)
- Even at distances of more than a foot and half (48 cm), microwave radiation was much higher intensity when signal reception was weak when compared with closer distances in areas with strong signals (2 inches, 4 cm).
- Headset measurements were 10 to 400 times lower than near-ear measurements of the phones to which they were connected, but nonetheless, the authors still recommend removing the wireless headset from the ear when not in use and reducing overall talk and listening times.
- Recent studies indicate that the RF EMF [radiofrequency electromagnetic field] exposures from cellular phones can have a negative impact on animal cells and cognitive and behavioral development in children. Case-controlled epidemiologic studies have found evidence for increased risk for glioma and localization of the glioma-associated with the consistent exposure site of regular mobile phone use.
- Recent research indicates that equivalent exposures result in proportionally higher cell phone radiation deposition into children when compared to adults.
- Even though texting increases the distance between the brain and the cell phone, phones are still held close to the body for hours a day. This can create a different exposure that “may cause unknown effects to other organ systems.”
- Future research should consider exposures of children and adults who are in close proximity to persons who are using a cell phone, requiring RF measurements from the back and sides of the cell phone.
- The public should follow the CDPH cell phone radiation guidance which tells all persons not to keep phones in the pocket and also includes other practical steps to reduce exposure to radiofrequency radiation.
- Precautionary use of cell phones such as speakerphone and maintaining a distance between the phone and the body could lessen a user’s radiofrequency EMF exposure by a factor of up to 10,000.
“This important study shows why parents must think twice before buying a young child a cell phone, and if they must have a smartphone it is important to instruct children to keep wireless devices away from the body, especially wherever we encounter areas of weak signal every day, such as when we are in an elevator, in a traveling car, in the basement or interior rooms of a home. Limiting cell phone use in weak signal areas potentially reduces RF-EMF exposure by up to a factor of 10,000,” stated John Coates, CEO of RF Safe Corporation.
Coates says, "These most recent studies have shown us that the debate about cell phone radiation being hazardous or not is over, and it is time to create a cell phone radiation policy that will address these issues. The FDA and FCC both have refused to alter their 20-year-old RF safety recommendations created before children ever used cell phones. The time for change is now!"
Coates continues saying, "It is important for governments of different countries to come together to create legislation that will limit cell phone radiation. Governments must demand mandates for a reduction in radiation levels by forcing cell phone manufacturers and service providers to use different antenna technologies than the existing ones used today. Safer antenna technology does exist today - unfortunately, it not as profitable to companies as larger displays!"
ABOUT RADIO FREQUENCY SAFE – CELL PHONE RADIATION SAFETY
RF SAFE is a world-leading provider of cell phone radiation protection accessories and informational safety data. Since 1998 RF (Radio Frequency) Safe has been dedicated to evolving the wireless industries safety standards, by engaging in the business of design, testing, manufacture, and sale of safety technologies to mitigate harmful effects of cell phone radiation.