Mosquitoes are more than just annoying
Lititz, PA (Vocus) May 18, 2010
A wet year plus the recent sudden warm weather could result in swarms of mosquitoes this season. Mosquito season typically runs from March to October, with June and July being the heaviest months.
Mosquito Magnet® offers relief from potentially dangerous bites with their patented, scientifically proven mosquito traps. The Mosquito Magnet works by producing a plume of carbon dioxide, which is the best-known attractant for mosquitoes; the carbon dioxide is safely converted from an ordinary tank of propane gas. Combined with a Mosquito Magnet attractant this creates an irresistible lure to draw biting pests to the trap where they are trapped and killed.
There are two EPA-registered attractants for Mosquito Magnet traps – Octenol and Lurex3™. By using the appropriate attractant, the Mosquito Magnet’s catch rate can be increased by up to ten times. Both lures mimic human qualities that attract mosquitoes; and both are designed for use with Woodstream Corporation’s Mosquito Magnet® trap.
Use of an attractant – such as Octenol or Lurex3™ – is recommended for optimal performance of the Mosquito Magnet trap. Octenol mimics human breath and attracts most mosquito species, including salt marsh mosquitoes. Lurex3™ is a patent-pending lure that mimics naturally occurring human skin scents known to attract a day-biting mosquito – the Asian Tiger.
Those who live on the coast or in Northern regions of the U.S. should use Octenol to attract mosquitoes, no-see-ums and black flies. Those who live in the Southern regions of the U.S. and in Hawaii should use Lurex3™ to control the day-biting, Asian Tiger mosquito.
“Mosquitoes are more than just annoying,” said Category Development Manager Andrea Long. “They’re known to spread many diseases, ranging from West Nile Virus to Heartworm. Mosquito Magnet traps, in conjunction with our attractants, can help reduce mosquito populations and in turn reduce the risk of being bitten by a disease-carrying mosquito.”
Mosquitoes have also been linked to malaria, dengue fever, encephalitis and yellow fever.
About Mosquito Magnet®:
Mosquito Magnet® is the leading biting insect trap in the consumer/residential market and is the only long-term solution that is scientifically proven to effectively reduce mosquitoes and other biting insects.
- The first carbon dioxide-based biting insect trap for commercial use
- The first propane-powered mosquito trap for consumer use
- Lurex3™, the first and only EPA-approved attractant specifically formulated to capture the invasive Asian Tiger Mosquito, a known carrier of West Nile Virus
- Patented lure cartridges to gradually release measured amounts of attractants, an advanced design to ensure cartridge replacement and propane refilling are synchronized
- Invented the Counterflow™ Technology, designed to emit a precise amount of carbon dioxide, heat, attractant and moisture, while simultaneously vacuuming insects into a net, taking advantage of the mosquito's instinct to turn upwards as it approaches the trap
About Woodstream Corp:
Woodstream Corporation is a long-standing, privately held company and a leading manufacturer and marketer of quality-branded wild bird feeders, rodent control products, caring control products for pets and wildlife, decorative garden accents & natural solutions for lawn and gardens.