A major goal in developing NuoDB has been the ability to scale elastically on hundreds of cores while also providing better performance than traditional centralized OLTP databases like MySQL.
Cambridge, Massachusetts (PRWEB) August 09, 2012
NuoDB, Inc., the leader in elastically scalable database software for the cloud, today announced the release of Beta 8 of its groundbreaking web-scale SQL database. This latest release is available immediately for download by NuoDB’s rapidly growing beta user base of more than 900+ developers, database administrators and independent software vendors.
The new release features:
YCSB (industry standard Yahoo! Cloud Serving Benchmark for cloud databases) benchmarks document that:
- Single NuoDB Transaction Engine performance is improved by as much as 2x for certain configurations
- Scaling performance with up to 16 Transaction Engines has improved by as much as 44%
Query Optimizer performance improvements
- The system now uses heuristics to intelligently pick optimal index
- Significantly improved Group By and Order By performance for certain use cases
- More complete support for the top ORM tools, such as Hibernate for Java and Active Record for Ruby on Rails
- 100 other enhancements and quality improvements
- Native Mac OS installer
- Enhanced command line administrative tool enables creation of automated scripts for NuoDB database operations
New Platform support
- Beta 8 now supports the Oracle Solaris platform
Expanded Community Portal
- Online documentation provides simpler, easier access to all the details
- Getting Started Guide - best place to start when first exploring NuoDB
“A major goal in developing NuoDB has been the ability to scale elastically on hundreds of cores while also providing better performance than traditional centralized OLTP databases like MySQL,” stated Barry Morris, NuoDB CEO and Founder. “We have demonstrated that design goal with Beta 8, exhibiting superior performance on a single node on a variety of platforms. As we come closer to general availability later this year we expect to exceed other measures that are critical to performance in the cloud.”
“Our Beta 8 release represents a milestone in improved performance and greater product hardening, stated Adam Abrevaya, NuoDB Vice President of Engineering. “The release offers a ten-fold improvement in many standard, complex queries and 100% support for the top ORM tools. With the addition of Oracle Solaris we continue to broaden our support for industry-leading operating systems.”
"I've been a beta tester of NuoDB since last year and I am looking forward to the release of Beta 8. The promise of elastic scalability, ease of use and resiliency are important benefits for us,” stated Adrian Madrid, Lead Developer at North Point Advisors LLC.
NuoDB, Inc. is a Cambridge, MA-based startup that provides the industry’s first and only patented, elastically scalable database. Unlike every other database, NuoDB is architected to scale effortlessly on the cloud without compromising any of the features or guarantees of relational databases.
Founded in 2010 by industry-renowned database architect and innovator Jim Starkey and enterprise software CEO Barry Morris, the NuoDB database is currently in Beta and will become generally available in late 2012. For more information, visit us at http://www.nuodb.com.