There isn’t a day when we don’t hear our patients say ‘doctor, I wish I’d known about your center years ago, when I was doing such and such...
New York, NY (PRWEB) March 01, 2012
Center for Human Reproduction (CHR), a leading New York fertility center specializing in pregnancy in older women, has issued a fertility tip sheet for women trying to get pregnant after age 40. With a growing number of women interested in pregnancy over 40, timely evaluation and diagnosis of infertility are becoming ever more important. However, they remain elusive for many patients.
“It’s important to recognize the urgency of aggressive fertility treatment when you are above age 40,” says Dr. Gleicher, Medical Director of CHR, which released the tip sheet. As women get older, their ovarian reserve (a measure of ovaries’ ability to produce good-quality eggs) declines. Because this process of ovarian aging speeds up significantly after age 40, timely diagnosis of infertility becomes crucial especially after age 40. Every fertility treatment loses efficacy rapidly with declining ovarian reserve.
As a “fertility center of last resort” for patients with diminished ovarian reserve, CHR sees a large number of women over 40 with premature ovarian aging. Dr. Gleicher continues: “There isn’t a day when we don’t hear our patients say ‘doctor, I wish I’d known about your center years ago, when I was doing such and such...’ The earlier we can start treatment, the better, of course, our chances of helping our patients! This is why we are issuing this fertility tip sheet.”
CHR’s fertility tips for women trying to get pregnant after 40 include:
- Recognize the urgency of aggressive fertility treatment when you are above age 40.
- Insist on rapid diagnosis and a structured treatment plan.
- Insist on specific treatment goals that meet your expectations. For example, do not agree to treatment with clomiphene citrate and intrauterine insemination (IUI) if the expected pregnancy chance sounds ridiculously low.
- Do not agree to endless testing to “wait for the right results” – time is not on your side, and results will only get worse!
- It never hurts to get a second opinion.
About Center for Human Reproduction
Center for Human Reproduction, or CHR (http://www.centerforhumanreprod.com), is a leading fertility center in the United States with a worldwide reputation as a "fertility center of last resort," specializing in treatment of infertility in women with diminished ovarian reserve, including younger women with premature ovarian aging (POA) and older women with physiological ovarian aging. Dr. Gleicher is available for additional comments.