Our high school curriculum offers grade-specific activities that are aligned with both state and national standards. The activities are focused on traditional sports and games and are modified to ensure students are successful.
San Diego, CA (PRWEB) April 02, 2012
SPARK™, provider of the world’s most-researched physical education programs and a division of School Specialty, is introducing SPARK High School Physical Education (SPARK HS PE), an innovative and technology-rich package of pe resources for High School Physical Educators. This new PE program emphasizes personal fitness development and helps teachers use student-directed learning, differentiated instruction, and sport education to motivate even the most reluctant teens and maximize student participation and outcomes.
"Our high school physical education curriculum offers grade-specific activities that are aligned with both state and national standards. The activities are focused on traditional sports and games and are modified to ensure students are successful,” said Paul Rosengard, Executive Director at SPARK. “Student success is essential to ensuring that fitness becomes a part of every student’s daily routine even after they graduate."
SPARK HS PE contains:
- The SPARK High School Manual – The manual includes 15 scope and sequenced instructional units aligned to state and national standards that contain a “Prep, Set, Teach” format for every lesson. Prep informs the teacher on the types of materials needed for the lesson. Set defines the layout of the room in which the activity is taking place. Teach defines the objective of each activity taking place, how to implement the lesson and what students can learn from it. The manual also comes with Character Matters educational resources to promote and assess character development, year-round fitness sections to promote lifelong wellness and additional sections focused on management and organizational techniques.
- SPARK High School Music CD – The music CD contains up-tempo tracks for use in each Integrated Fitness Unit, as well as all dances from the manual including warm-up and cool-down music.
- SPARKfamily.org Membership – This password-protected website allows educators to view video clips of SPARK HS PE activities, use interactive tools such as leveled portfolio assessments and more than 200 activities with rubrics optimized for the iPad, and watch innovative new ideas being used with students. It also includes hundreds of printable content cards in English and Spanish, a section on fitness and nutrition lessons, goal-setting tools, home activity challenges, SPARK Event tournament resources and audio files that can be downloaded to digital players or CDs. New to the site are digital versions of the manuals to allow educators to download unit plans and activities to an iPad or other tablet.
Additional components available for SPARK HS PE include:
- SPARK High School SPARKfolio – The SPARKfolio is a kit containing and organizing hundreds of the teaching materials from the SPARKfamily website to save teachers the time and money spent downloading, copying, labeling, and laminating the materials found on the site.
- SPARK High School PE Workshops – The workshops, led by SPARK specialists, teach new Physical Education methods such as using a more individualized theme and activities that allow for all to be successful. Teachers will learn inclusion strategies that ensure that every student, regardless of ability, has a positive experience that instills a lifelong approach to physical fitness. Attendees also learn a variety of assessment techniques and tools to authentically demonstrate student achievement.
- SPARK equipment – A set of equipment that includes every item suggested by SPARK HS PE.
- Follow-up Support – Ongoing support including free access to staff via an 800 telephone number and email consultation. In addition, workshop attendees receive access to a free monthly webinar, social networking opportunities, a monthly eNewsletter and help finding grants for PE programs.
SPARKS’ Physical Education lesson plans and programs are research-based and dedicated to creating, implementing and promoting lifelong wellness. To learn more about the most researched physical education program in the world, call 800-SPARK-PE or E-mail: spark(at)sparkpe(dot)org
SPARK is a collection of research-based Physical Education, After School, Early Childhood, and Coordinated School Health programs for educators serving Pre-K through 12th grade students. Since 1989, SPARK has provided physical education curriculum materials, teacher training, and consultation to over 100,000 teachers and youth leaders, representing many thousands of schools, organizations, and agencies worldwide. SPARK also helps educators find physical education grants. For more information on SPARK, visit http://www.sparkpe.org or email spark(at)sparkpe(dot)org or call 1-800-SPARK-PE.
About School Specialty
School Specialty is a leading education company that provides innovative and proprietary products, programs and services to help educators engage and inspire students of all ages and abilities to learn. The company designs, develops, and provides PreK-12 educators with the latest and very best curriculum, supplemental learning resources, and school supplies. For more information about School Specialty, visit http://www.schoolspecialty.com.