Leading non-GMO seed distributor Seeds Now offers five simple steps to avoid GMO’s.
Los Angeles, CA (PRWEB) November 04, 2013
More than ever individuals are becoming increasingly aware about the dangers of Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) and the affect they can have on the human body. GMOs are plants or animals that have been genetically engineered with DNA from bacteria or other plants and animals. This combination of genes from different species cannot occur naturally. Most developed nations do not consider GMOs to be safe. In over 60 countries around the world, there are restrictions or bans on the production and sale of GMOs. Since there is no restriction in the United States, it’s important for consumers to be informed. Here are 5 simple and easy ways for any individual and family to avoid GMOs:
1. Go Organic: The USDA National Organic standards prohibits the use of GMOs in Organic food. Most grocery stores offer a wide selection of Organic foods, including: Ketchup, Chips, and Baked goods.
2. Grow your own NON-GMO Herbs, Fruits, & Veggies: It’s even fresher and more cost-effective if an individual grows their own food using non-gmo seeds. Websites like http://www.SeedsNow.com offer a wide selection of 100% NON-GMO seeds. When an individual grows their own Organic produce they know exactly what their family is consuming.
3. Look for the Non-GMO Project Verified Seal: Third party verification that a product is made without the use of GMO ingredients.
4. Discover “Wild” Produce: Often, farmed fish eat GMO feed. When purchasing seafood, choosing wild caught items that aren’t given supplemental feed is the best choice. Anyone can also check the source of their meat and dairy to make sure that the animals were raised without the use of GMOs.
5. Look at Alcohol Labels: All alcoholic beverages, like wine and beer, labeled organic must use non-GMO yeast, grapes and grains.
While eating organic and living a non-GMO lifestyle can seem like an overwhelming task, these are 5 easy steps to incorporate into daily life. A simple and fun way to avoid GMOs is to grow produce and herbs from home. Using non-GMO seeds is a great way to keep costs down and is a fun way to start a non-GMO adventure.