Austin, Texas (PRWEB) October 08, 2013
22nd Century, a project of the Convergence Institute, a nonprofit organization devoted to social change through education, has released its first data-driven video “What You Need to Know About the Affordable Care Act.” Designed for the millions of Americans who don’t understand the Affordable Care Act or why it is controversial, the video features easy-to-understand:
- Data on uninsured Americans by income, age, and employment status
- An overview of the ACA’s three means to insure the uninsured
- Data on effects on states and their citizens of the Supreme Court’s ACA decision
- Costs for state & federal governments and their taxpayers of Medicaid expansion
- Data on rising health care costs with or without the ACA
“Today there are vast amounts of information on every imaginable subject, thanks to the growth of the Internet,” notes 22nd Century publisher Tom Martin. “Yet the sheer amount and fragmentation of information is overwhelming to practically everyone. Our first project is about the Affordable Care Act, because it’s a perfect example of a law and a larger issue about which factual knowledge is lacking and civic engagement and discourse need to be higher.”
22nd Century is not an advocacy organization. Its mission is to provide data-rich facts and analyses about economic, political, and social tradeoffs facing Americans. It maintains its nonpartisanship by showing how the left and the right view issues and data. 22nd Century operates on the belief that:
1. Original source information, scholarship, and data that can best inform civic choices—and that previously were available to few people—are buried under a mass of storytelling, partisanship, and 24 hour news, or are simply ignored;
2. Original source information and data need to be repackaged into charts, infographics, and data-rich presentations that are complex yet easy to understand.
If you’d like more information or want to schedule an interview with Tom Martin about 22nd Century, please call Tamara Straus at 415-568-6594 or email Tamara at tstraus(at)22nd-century(dot)org.