What started as a Poliform showroom in 2002, has evolved and grown out of a bad economy to emerge as a leader in the city’s growing contemporary furniture scene.
Atlanta, GA (PRWEB) October 01, 2013
Switch Modern, a contemporary furniture showroom located in the trendy West Midtown area at 670 14th Street, Atlanta, Georgia 30318, is expanding to 25,000 square-foot space in November. It will carry over beloved lines like Poliform, Minotti, Bocci, Flexform, and B&B Italia Outdoor, and is adding new lines like FLOS, MDF Italia, Walter Knoll, Verpan and more – there will be 80 lines in all. What started as a dedicated Poliform showroom in 2002, has evolved and grown out of a bad economy to emerge as a leader in the nation’s growing contemporary furniture scene.
From 2002 until 2008, the store saw steady growth, adding a selection of progressive furniture lines and moving to new digs. Then in 2008, the housing market crash brought furniture retailers down with it, leaving Switch Modern’s owners Doug Henderson and Roy Otwell with a sink or swim scenario. They could shutter or they could invest in future growth. Fortunately for fans of Poliform, Alessi, Kartell and others, they opted for the latter.
Henderson and Otwell faced down a bad economy and expanded their business:
- Launching an e-commerce site, which could reach a broader national audience http://www.switchmodern.com
- Expanding from six to 80 product lines
- Adding home accessories including an Alessi Shop-in-Shop and a Kartell Shop-in-Shop.
- Initiating a dialogue with the design industry by launching their “Spotlight on Design” lecture series, now it its fourth successful year
Their investment paid off. Switch Modern prospered in a bad economy and today Henderson and Otwell are moving from the 4,700 square-foot space that they’ve occupied since 2004, into a massive 25,000 square-foot space around the corner.
Of note, the new 25,000 square-foot showroom will have:
- Larger, branded boutiques including Shop-in-Shops for Alessi and Kartell and a significant 2,400 square-foot Poliform showroom
- Expanded space to emphasize smaller, lesser known designers and companies, like Verpan (Verner Panton designs), MDF Italia, ClassiCon, Thonet, Bocci, Roll & Hill, Dyson, Rich Brilliant Willing and Bitossi
- Expanded bath offerings, including Rifra and now Agape
- An emphasis on "Contract" business with lines including Viccarbe, Walter Knoll (both residential and contract), Verpan (designs by Verner Panton) and Gebruder T ("Thonet" in Euorpe)
- A huge outdoor furniture display showcasing companies like Gandia Blasco, RODA, B&B Italia Outdoor, Paola Lenti, Kenneth Cobonpue and Khouri Design (planters)
- An expanded accessories/gift registry division with an expansive selection of dishes, flatware, glassware and gifts
Henderson and Otwell grew out of an economic downturn while maintaining their focus on licensed originally designed and responsibly produced furniture, lighting, kitchens, closets, and other home furnishings.
About Switch Modern:
Roy Otwell and Doug Henderson are the design-obsessed proprietors of Switch Modern, the premiere modern furniture and accessories showroom in Atlanta, Georgia, and its deep and churning, web-based companion, switchmodern.com. Since 2002, Roy and Doug have been providing unique, functional and high quality home furnishings such as furniture, upholstery, light fixtures, floor coverings and tabletop accessories after opening Poliform Atlanta and realizing the need for contemporary manufactures in the south. Today, Switch Modern supplies some of the world’s most creative manufacturers and their designers including Flexform (Antonio Citterio), Wittmann (Joseph Hoffmann, Friedrich Kiesler), Edra (Campana Brothers) and Fontana Arte (Gio Ponti, Gae Aulenti), to name a few. Switch Modern is moving to 670 14th Street, Atlanta, Georgia 30318 in November. It is currently located at 1193 Howell Mill Road in Atlanta, Georgia 30318 and is open Monday - Friday, 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. and Saturday from 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. For more information, call (404) 605-0196 or visit http://www.switchmodern.com.