Bethesda, MD (PRWEB) October 01, 2013
In celebration of October – Health Literacy Month – Health Literacy Innovations, creators of the Health Literacy Advisor, the nation’s first interactive health literacy software (in English and Spanish) today announces its free October health literacy series.
To enroll, please visit http://healthliteracyinnovations.com/resources/webinars. The 2013 October Health Literacy webinar series includes:
"Understanding Health Literacy, Ten Reasons Why We Can’t Afford to Ignore It"
- Presenter: Aracely Rosales, Content Expert & Multilingual Director, Health Literacy Innovations
- Tuesday, October 8th, 2-3 p.m. EDT
“Implementing a Health Literacy Precaution Kit”
- Presenter: Leigh F. Callahan, PhD, Mary Link Briggs Distinguished Professor of Medicine, Professor of Social Medicine, Thurston Arthritis Research Center, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Tuesday, October 15th , 2-3 p.m. EDT
“The Role of Health Literacy in Disease Management: Implications for Intervention Design”
- Presenter: Melissa A. Valerio, PhD, MPH, Interim Dean San Antonio Regional Campus, Associate Professor University of Texas School of Public Health in Houston
- Thursday, October 17th, 2-3 p.m. EDT
“Addressing Health Literacy and Cultural Competence”
- Presenter: Speaker: Kate Singleton, MSW, LCSW, Health Literacy Consultant for Adult Education, Social Work, and Health Care
- Tuesday, October 22nd, 2-3 p.m. EDT
“Health Insurance Literacy and the ACA”
- Is It Now Easier or Harder Enroll in Coverage? What Does a Health Insurance Consumer Need to Know?”
- Presenter: Lynn Quincy, Senior Policy Analyst, Consumers Union
- Thursday, October 24th, 2-3 p.m. EDT
“Creating a Health Literacy Initiative”
- Presenter: Athena D. Bennett, BA, CC, CL, Health Literacy and Plain Language SME Training Analyst, Quality and Accreditation, Accordant, A CVS Caremark Company
- Tuesday, October 29th, 2-3 p.m. EDT
Health Literacy Innovations
Health Literacy Innovations (HLI) creates tools to help eliminate medical mistakes and confusion due to low health literacy. HLI's flagship product, the Health Literacy Advisor™ (in Spanish–Asesor de Comunicación en Salud™) is the nation's first, only, and most powerful health literacy software tool. As a "health literacy checker," the HLA streamlines the review and simplification process by allowing users to assess the readability of their documents and then fix it using plain language principles. The HLA applies nine well-known readability indices in English and six indices in Spanish and an interactive search-and-replace function to eliminate hard-to-read terms and phrases and medical jargon with plain language alternatives. The combination of these two functions, a document "grade" with a readability score/grade level, and the ReadsEasy™ stamp (a reward for good work) sets the HLA software apart from programs or readability indices alone. For more information, please visit HealthLiteracyInnovations.com or call 301-230-4966.