"My boss wanted to take a look at Entity Framework so I wrote up a 101 guide for him and then posted it," Abboud said.
(PRWEB) October 04, 2013
Entity Framework novices now have a new tool to help them understand how to use the object-relational mapper. The "Idiot’s Guide to Entity Framework (by an Idiot)", written by Windward's Matt Abboud, has been published online. The project is a primer on how .NET developers can get started using Entity Framework to work with relational data using domain-specific objects.
"My boss wanted to take a look at Entity Framework so I wrote up a 101 guide for him and then posted it," Abboud said. "I’m a newbie at EF but I think it has a few helpful tips."
Abboud's guide covers the basics, such as the steps necessary for adding Entity Framework to a project and how to make database tables more efficient. Highlighted tips and tricks include:
- Create your database first then have Entity Framework generate your objects for you.
- When creating your database, make sure to set up the FK/PK metadata relationships so Entity Framework can load it up.
- Always include a PK for a table (which is generally a really good idea anyway).
- Don't fall into the trap of trying to move an object between contexts.
- Extend your POCOs by creating a partial class in a new file.
For more information or to access the full guide online, please visit http://blogs.windward.net/matta/2013/09/29/idiots-guide-to-entity-framework-by-an-idiot/.
Windward, the expert in data display and analysis solutions, delivers powerful reporting, document generation and business intelligence software solutions for OEM or enterprise use. Businesses worldwide create highly customized reports better and faster with data intelligence made easy. Windward has been delighting customers – technical and non – since 2004. http://www.windward.net