Delray Beach, FL (PRWEB) October 09, 2013
New research by Brandon Hall Group shows that only 25% of organizations believe their critical Leadership Development programs are very effective, and more than half do not have a formal Leadership Development strategy to drive their programs.
From the survey research and interviews with global learning and talent management leaders, it is clear that ensuring a solid pipeline of suitable leaders has proven to be a daunting task for many organizations of all sizes and in all industries.
The research also includes Brandon Hall Group’s new High-Performance Integrated Leadership Development Framework, which defines and explains 10 critical components upon which mature and effective leadership development rests.
Among the top findings of the survey research:
- About 75% of organizations surveyed said their LD program was not very effective.
- Those organizations that did rate their LD programs very or extremely effect spent, on average, 60% more on LD than did organizations with programs rated slightly effective or not at all effective.
- Less than half of organizations surveyed said they had a formal LD strategy, but those that did were far more likely to rate their programs as extremely effective or very effective.
- Nearly 63% of companies with formal LD strategies reported that the majority of their Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) had improved -- 76% better than organizations with no strategy and no strategic plans in development.
- Organizations with LD programs in existence 5 years or longer rated them extremely or very effective twice as often as those with programs 2 years old or less.
The research, conducted from July-September, was a four-tiered approach involving an online survey; qualitative discussions with senior HR and talent leaders, vendors, executives, business unit leaders, and individual contributors at all levels in organizations of all sizes representing all industries across the globe; a review of empirically based primary research published from academic and business institutions;, and the experience and knowledge of Brandon Hall Group analysts, including Laci Loew, Principal Analyst and Talent Management Practice Leader, who developed the High-Performance Integrated Leadership Development Framework.
“Today’s leadership development is not working. The investment organizations are making in developing leaders is not delivering leaders who deliver results,” Loew said. “Our organizations are highly-matrix, globally distributed, and rich with virtual workforces who represent diverse demographics. Our leaders’ work today has a similar complex and distributed profile. Yet, most of us rely upon the same traditional methods for developing up and coming leaders.
“This research suggests a framework for how organizations can take an integrated approach to leadership development,” Loew continued. “The framework serves as strategic guidance for those attempting to treat the disease --- to recover from leadership development failures, to install effective, high-performance leadership practices, and to leverage leadership development as a competitive differentiator.”
For additional information about the research please contact CEO Mike Cooke:
(561) 865-5017 or mike(dot)cooke(at)brandonhall(dot)com, http://www.brandonhall.com.
About Brandon Hall Group:
With more than 10,000 clients globally and 20 years of delivering world-class research and advisory services, Brandon Hall Group is the most well-known and established research organization in the performance improvement industry. We are focused on developing research that drives performance in emerging and large organizations, and provides strategic insights for executives and practitioners responsible for growth and business results.
At the core of our offerings is a Membership Program that combines research, benchmarking and unlimited access to data and analysts. The Membership Program offers insights and best practices to enable executives and practitioners to make the right decisions about people, processes, and systems, coalesced with analyst advisory services which aim to put the research into action in a way that is practical and efficient.