Houston, TX (PRWEB) October 08, 2013
The Houston Business-Education Coalition (HBEC) is pleased to announce that it has endorsed Harvin Moore in the District 8 Houston Independent School District (HISD) Election.
"We interviewed all candidates and carefully considered responses to a detailed questionnaire," said Jonathan Day, HBEC Pac Chair. "Harvin, a board member since 2003, has been a long-time supporter of reform. HBEC is grateful for his continuing commitment to serve HISD and its students and parents."
HBEC is comprised of 15 business and professional leaders who are vitally interested in the quality of the leadership on the HISD Board. Members of the HBEC PAC are:
- Lanesha Anderson - Vice President & Deputy General Counsel, ABM
- Jonathan Day - Of Counsel, Andrews Kurth LLP
- Richard Figueroa - Vice President and Senior Financial Advisor, UBS Services
- Michael Griffin - Partner, Silver Oak Financial Group
- Larry Kellner - President, Emerald Creek Group
- Steven Mach - Vice President of Finance and Corporate Affairs, March Group
- Ramon Manning - CEO, Partners Energy Group
- Sherea McKenzie - Executive Director, Office of Commissioner El Franco Lee
- Kendall Miller - President, Tanglewood Corporation
- Gasper Mir - Principal, MFR P.C.
- Rod Paige - Former Secretary of Education & Former Superintendent of HISD
- Adrian Patterson - Partner, Andrews Kurth LLP
- Gracie Saenz - Partner, Saenz & Burkhardt PLLC
- Richard Schechter - Law Office of Richard Schechter
- Douglas M. Selman - R&D VP, Exxon (Retired)
- Michael Trevino - Reputation Management Associates
- Lori Vetters - Regional Commercial Executive, HSBC Bank
- Dick Weekley - Chairman, Weekley Development Company
- Welcome Wilson, Sr. - GSL Industrial
- Jim Windham - Windham Capital Advisory
- Don Woo - Mission Constructors
- Lee Zieben - President, Affordable Housing Group
About Harvin Moore:
Harvin Moore is a Houston native. He grew up in the Briarcroft and River Oaks neighborhoods and attended HISD’s Henry Grady Elementary School. He also attended River Oaks Elementary School and Sidney Lanier Junior High School during their first years as Vanguard schools. After graduating from St. John’s School in 1982, he earned a bachelor’s degree in economics and political science from Northwestern University and a master’s degree in business administration from New York University. Harvin now serves as senior vice president for finance and operations at Sentinel Satellite, Inc., a Houston aerospace company.
Harvin began volunteering his time and expertise in behalf of public education in the mid-1980s and continues to give back to the Houston community. He has tutored and taught at-risk students in the East Harlem Tutorial Program in HISD through Communities in Schools, Junior Achievement, and Kids Hope USA. He has served on the board of directors or advisory boards of Teach for America–Houston, KIPP Academy, the Houston Teachers’ Institute, the Neuhaus Education Center, the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo Reading Institute for Teacher Excellence, Preschool for ALL, the Texas Lyceum, the HISD Foundation, and the Powell Foundation.
Harvin joined the HISD School Board in 2003 and was reelected in 2005 and 2009. He served as the Board’s president in 2008. More information about Harvin Moore can be found at http://www.harvinmoore.com, where he also publishes The Transformation Times, an electronic newsletter which provides current news and opinion on educational issues, trends and initiatives.
About Houston Business-Education Coalition PAC
HBEC is committed to supporting candidates for school board positions who demonstrate the leadership to improve student academic performance. HBEC is also committed to creating support in the community for significant changes that are required in Houston's public schools.
Contact:Jonathan Day, Chair, HBEC