Plano, TX (PRWEB) October 10, 2013
Mark Woeppel, president and CEO of Pinnacle Strategies, wrote a new blog post discussing how to impose a common deadline on distributed teams. Due dates are a fact of project management and are difficult to meet even when teams see each other every day. The problem is magnified when the teams are distributed across cities, countries or even continents.
Distributed teams have a much more difficult time with due dates and deadlines for the following reasons:
- Haystack Syndrome: The amount of data, unimportant and important, coming from multiple sources overwhelms team members so no one can form an accurate picture of the true progress.
- Reliability: Project managers need to ensure that their whole team has the correct information that affects delivery and deadline dates.
- Inconsistent vision: Most people work in their own bubble of their own tasks, unaware of the big picture of the project and how their work fits.
The challenge is to get the entire team focused on a common set of objectives – including dates. If managers are not present in the work area, the number of options is fairly limited. Project managers need a tool one that provides a:
- Single consistent window for seeing progress across all task elements and locations, in real time
- Shared view of project status
- Shared view of the obstacles
- Shared understanding of the work to be done to overcome those obstacles
To read the entire blog link here: http://pinnacle-strategies.com/blog/2013/10/imposing-a-common-deadline-on-remote-teams/
Read more practical solutions to managing distributed teams in Pinnacle Strategies’ new ebook, “Remote Control: How to Get Productive Teamwork from Distributed Project Teams” here http://pinnacle-strategies.com/remote-control-lp01.html. This publication reveals how to get distributed resources to work together as an effective team by creating a means to share, collaborate and communicate in a timely and inclusive manner.
About Pinnacle Strategies
Pinnacle Strategies is an international management consulting firm focused on operations management excellence. We work with organizations to increase shareholder value by developing high-performance business processes that significantly enhance productivity, reduce costs and time to market, improving profitability and accelerating sustainable growth. Pinnacle Strategies offers results-driven consulting solutions in the areas of performance management, project management, operations management, and supply chain.
For more information, contact Pinnacle Strategies at info(at)pinnacle-strategies(dot)com, or +1 972-492-7951.