Since 1984, we’ve used National Crime Prevention Month to create a movement where communities work together to encourage safe behaviors, and urge families to take their home safety seriously.
ARLINGTON, VA (PRWEB) October 16, 2013
In 2012, nearly nine million property crimes occurred in the United States alone. The National Crime Prevention Council (NCPC) marks each October as National Crime Prevention Month to remind communities to focus on safe behaviors and educate them on proactive crime prevention. To ensure security is always top of mind, ADT and experts at the NCPC are offering home safety tips.
- Lock All Doors & Windows: Lock your doors and windows, including garage doors, with heavy duty locks even when you are at home. Secure windows and sliding doors with secondary blocking devices (e.g., a wood block or dowel) for added protection.
- Crime-Proof Outside Areas: Use motion sensor lights around the exterior of your home that can be seen from the street. Good lighting makes it harder for criminals to hide under the cover of darkness. Also, maintain landscaping with security in mind - hedges should be trimmed away from windows so owners have a clear view of their property.
- Enlist a Team of Monitoring Experts: A professionally installed security system with 24/7 monitoring support can add an extra layer of security to help guard against intruders. Home security systems like ADT Pulse® can immediately alert authorities in the event of a burglary, fire or carbon monoxide leak even when family members are away from home.
- Get to Know Your Neighbors: A friendly relationship with your neighbors can be beneficial for your home’s security. Neighbors who can pick up mail and park in your driveway to give the appearance of occupancy while you’re on vacation may help to deter burglars.
- Establish an Emergency Plan: Have important phone numbers listed near the phone and establish a meeting place for family members - one near your home and one outside your neighborhood. If you think you hear someone breaking in, leave safely if you can, then call the police.
“Daily security measures for some don’t go much further than locking doors,” said Ann M. Harkins, President and CEO of the National Crime Prevention Council. “Since 1984, we’ve used National Crime Prevention Month to create a movement where communities work together to encourage safe behaviors, and urge families to take their home safety seriously.”
For more information on National Crime Prevention Month and other advice to encourage safe habits, visit NCPC’s website at http://www.ncpc.org. To learn more about ADT and to receive a free in-home security assessment, visit http://www.adt.com or call 1-800-ADT-ASAP.
The National Crime Prevention Council and ADT Security Services have partnered to provide home safety tips for National Crime Prevention Month.
About the National Crime Prevention Council
The National Crime Prevention Council is the nonprofit leader in crime prevention. For more than 30 years, our symbol of safety, McGruff the Crime Dog®, has delivered easy-to-use crime prevention tips that protect what matters most—you, your family, and your community. Since 1982, NCPC has continuously provided the American public with comprehensive educational materials, training programs, and effective crime prevention messaging, delivered in large part through its vast network of more than 4,600 state and local law enforcement agencies, crime prevention associations, community groups, foundations, and corporate partners. For more information on how NCPC can be a public safety expert for you or how to “Take A Bite Out of Crime®,” visit http://www.ncpc.org.
The ADT Corporation (NYSE: ADT) is a leading provider of electronic security, interactive home and business automation and monitoring services for residences and small businesses in the United States and Canada. ADT's broad and pioneering set of products and services, including ADT Pulse interactive home and business solutions, and home health services, meet a range of customer needs for today’s active and increasingly mobile lifestyles. Headquartered in Boca Raton, Florida, ADT helps provide peace of mind to more than six million customers, and it employs approximately 17,000 people at 200 locations. More information is available at http://www.adt.com.