Mold Removal Professional Reports on Closings at the University of Maryland

Share Article

SI Restoration, one of Baltimore’s authority figures on mold remediation, are calling Maryland residents to action after dozens of families were recently affected by the closing of University of Maryland’s Child Care Center and part of the McKeldin Library. With a rise in reported cases of illness and allergic reactions brought on by the toxic fungus, SI Restoration’s latest article outlines the dangers of mold in schools and how to prevent further outbreaks.

SI Restoration mold in schools

SI Restoration offers insight on recent outbreak of mold in schools.

...schools arguably host a wider array of occupants ranging in age and susceptibility to illness and infection (from mold exposure).

Aggressive mold growth has shut down the University of Maryland’s Child Care Center and one of the floors in the McKeldin Library, according to a recent report filed by Baltimore Sun’s Tricia Bishop. The discovery of mold infestation displaced an estimated forty families that rely on UMBC’s child care center. The discovery has also raised concern about the potentially negative effects mold spores have had on the children’s health.

SI Restoration, an industry leader in mold remediation since 1989, has serviced the Baltimore, Maryland area since the company began over twenty years ago. This most recent report, along with several other accounts of toxic mold growth occurring in schools in the tri-state area, has prompted the mold remediation authority to release a PSA entitled Mold in Schools.

While it can be debated that toxic fungal growth found in other public forums such as retail stores and mold in hospitals can be just as detrimental, schools arguably host a wider array of occupants ranging in age and susceptibility to illness and infection. Indoor mold is known to cause illness and allergic reactions even in those who are not typically prone to mold allergens. Reactions and symptoms such as skin irritation, eye irritation, congestion, shortness of breath, lung deficiencies, and high fever can occur when someone is exposed to mold spores.

One of the most common Baltimore mold removal FAQs relates to how mold grows aggressively indoors. Much like the fungal growth found in UMBC, moisture is the leading cause of colony growth. When water molecules stand in a dark, humid environment for more than 48 hours, that area is susceptible to infestation. Organic materials such as wood, fabric, carpeting, padding, drywall, insulation, and concrete can all harbor toxic mold colonies.

Additional protocols and guidelines on how to handle fungal colonies in educational facilities can be found in SI Restoration’s PSA titled Mold in Schools including:

  •     Urgency on reporting mold to faculty and students
  •     How to deal with water damage and moisture issues
  •     How certified commercial mold remediation contractors will handle the removal process
  •     Putting the safety of students and faculty first

Share article on social media or email:

View article via:

Pdf Print

Contact Author

David DiLoreto
SI Restoration
+1 (856) 437-6068
Email >

Vincent Marone
Follow us on
Visit website