Park City, Utah (PRWEB) October 25, 2013
Today, Zane Benefits, the number one online small business health benefits solution, published new information on special open enrollment periods.
According to Zane Benefits’ website, a special enrollment period is a time when you’re allowed to make changes to your health insurance plan even though it’s not an open enrollment period.
Special enrollment periods are standard with health insurance you get through an employer. Starting in 2014, open enrollment periods and special enrollment periods will also apply to guaranteed-issue individual health insurance plans. The open enrollment periods ensure that individuals and families don’t wait until they get sick to enroll in coverage, or switch to more comprehensive coverage when they're about to have an expensive medical procedure.
Starting in 2014, consumers can only enroll in guaranteed-issue individual health insurance during specific open enrollment periods and special enrollment periods. This includes qualified health plans (QHPs) bought through the health insurance marketplaces and outside the marketplace.
According to Zane Benefits’ website, individuals and enrollees are able to enroll in a qualified health plan or change from one plan to another outside the open enrollment period as a result of a specific triggering event.
Examples of triggering events include
- A qualified individual or dependent loses minimum essential coverage
- A qualified individual gains a dependent or becomes a dependent through marriage, birth, adoption, or placement for adoption
- An individual, who was not previously a citizen, national, or law fully present individual gains such status
- An individual is determined newly eligible or newly ineligible for advance payments of the premium tax credit or has a change in eligibility for cost-sharing reductions, regardless of whether such individual is already enrolled in a qualified health plan.
- A qualified individual or enrollee gains access to new qualified health plan as a result of a permanent move
- An Indian may enroll in a qualified health plan or change from one to another one time per month
About Zane Benefits
Zane Benefits was founded in 2006 to provide a revolutionized SaaS (Software-as-a-Service) administration platform ("ZaneHealth") for defined contribution health care. The flagship software provides a 100% paperless administration experience to small businesses and insurance professionals that want to offer better health benefits without a traditional group health insurance plan at lower costs. For more information about Zane Benefits, visit http://www.zanebenefits.com.