Many parents often say they have to check with their child if they want to have a tutor, when they are already making D's and F's in a class. At that point, the parent needs to create strict boundaries and make the decisions for the child. - Neha Gupta
(PRWEB) October 31, 2013
When it comes to parenting, and life in general, everyone wants a quick and easy solution. If it is cooking, car-pooling, bedtime, or dinner time, the easy option always seem the best route to take. Taking the easy road can have some serious consequences in the long run though.
Nobody likes to listen to their child cry, wine, or complain. We all just want to make our children happy. We want to make their lives, and our own as simple as possible. Unfortunately for everyone, our attempts to smooth out any bumps in the road may cause more harm than good in the long run. Here are five excellent examples of things that parents may do that can cause you to create a self-entitled child that can easily affect their academic future.
1. Not having any chores: It may be easier to put the dishes away, or set the table on your own, but your child is not learning anything if you do this. Even if it takes an hour of complaining for a five minute task, don’t quit, the lesson will be well worth it.
2. Bribes: Probably the most common of all parents steps to creating a self-entitled child. The issue arises when later if a simple task is asked of them, they may say, “What do I get?” This attitude can carry outside of the home also, which is when the big problem arises. No one at school is going to bribe them to follow orders, especially teachers.
3. Making multiple meals: We all have dealt with this, whether with our own kids, or even babysitting at some point. A picky eater. Nobody wants to see their child go hungry, or listen to complaints every evening. Mom’s who make a different meal for their children is doing no one any favors though.
4. Never telling them they are wrong: Sometimes another child/adult/teacher is in the right, and your child is wrong. Many parents don’t like to accept that their child may be wrong, and they will blame anyone else. This can cause serious problems with age, as issues that arise can become more serious. Students may not realize when they need help and might need a Math Tutor, SAT Tutor, ACT Tutor, ISEE Tutor, or overall academic coaching. Parents need to tell their children that their job is to be a good student, and when they are failing, they are doing themselves a disservice.
5. Giving prizes to everyone: It seems that children get medals for everything these days. It may seem like an innocent, and even sweet idea, however it takes away the significance of a real medal they could actually earn someday. Learning about winning and losing is an important life lesson for every child.
"Many parents often say they have to check with their child if they want to have a tutor, when they are already making D's and F's in a class. At that point, the parent needs to create strict boundaries and make the decisions for the child," Neha Gupta, owner of Elite Private Tutors. "We see so many students floundering because they are attempting to make all their own decisions. Most parents do not realize that children really need guidance and support even through college."
You may not be aware that doing any of these five things could be causing more harm than actual good to your child. We just want to make everyone happy, but your child’s long-term happiness, and success is more important than just a quick fix. Becoming aware of this behavior will save you a lot of trouble in the future. Use this list as a NOT to-do list, and you will be blessed with a pleasant child, not a self-entitled one.