We designed this event to inspire young people to pursue careers in aviation and aerospace.
Leesburg, VA (PRWEB) November 04, 2013
Over 500 students, educators, and parents attended the eighth annual Aviation Education and Career Expo hosted by ProJet Aviation at the Leesburg Executive Airport. This free event, targeted primarily toward youth aged 16-20, features keynote speakers, videos, and demonstrations to showcase the wide variety of careers in aviation and aerospace.
$25,000 in scholarships were awarded by the Aircraft Owners & Pilot’s Association (AOPA), Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, Flight Safety International, Greater Washington Business Aviation Association (GWBAA), The Hoxton Agency, Liberty University, ProJet Aviation, Shell Aviation, and USAIG, to students who won an essay contest by describing how financial assistance would help them reach their career goals. In addition to cash awards, three Leesburg-based flight schools contributed full ground school scholarships. This years scholarship winners are:
- Hannah Thomas, Woodgrove High School, Lovettsville, VA: $12,000 Liberty University Scholarship
- Nathan Eschbach, Gov Thomas Johnson High School and CTC student in Frederick County: $8,000 Embry Riddle Aeronautical University Scholarship
- Madeleine McGuinness, Loudoun Valley High School, VA: $3,000 (school of choice)
- Kenneth Bosic Pittsburgh Institute of Aeronautics, Clear Spring, MD: $2,000 Award (school of choice)
- Emma Bone, Home Schooled, King George, VA: Aviation Ground School: Aviation Adventures
- Ryan Kinzie, Brunswick High School, and CTC student in Frederick County: Aviation Ground School, AV-ED
- Riley Campbell, Home Schooled: Aviation Ground School, Atlantic Airways
“We designed this event to inspire young people to pursue careers in aviation and aerospace,” said Julie O’Brien, ProJet Aviation’s Director of Marketing, “The Expo is accessible to all students, and we rely completely on corporate funds and donations to make this day happen - these scholarships have a tremendous impact on the lives of these students and their families.”
Several keynote speakers shared inspiring stories of their aviation journeys:
- Jamail Larkins, pilot and entrepreneur, who was ranked #1 in Inc. Magazine’s “30 Under 30 – America’s Coolest Young Entrepreneurs” poll.
- Lieutenant Commander Meagan Flannigan, who has accumulated over 1250 hours in the F-14D, F/A-18, and training aircraft,
- Michael de Jesso of the US Marine Core Presidential Helicopter “Marine One”
- Andrew Moore, Executive Director of the National Agricultural Aviation Association (NAAA)
- Shye Gilad, ProJet Aviation CEO
More than 40 leaders from professional aviation organizations met with students throughout the day including: US military and national security assignments, government agencies, emergency medical airlift, law enforcement, aircraft maintenance, safety and avionics repair. All of the exhibitors volunteered their time and resources to benefit aviation and aerospace education.
About ProJet Aviation:
ProJet Aviation is the DC metro region's premier aviation hospitality company, dedicated to helping people accomplish extraordinary things through the wonder of private flight. ProJet’s fully integrated services include aircraft management, maintenance (MRO), worldwide charter, and flight support (FBO). The company operates ProJet Center FBO at Leesburg Executive Airport (KJYO), general aviation gateway to Washington DC, Dulles, and Virginia's Horse & Wine Country. Established in 2007 as a partnership between former airline pilot and entrepreneur Shye Gilad and noted entrepreneur and philanthropist Sheila C. Johnson, Founder & CEO of Salamander Hotels and Resorts, ProJet Aviation combines the operational integrity of the world’s best airlines with the refined service of a world-class resort. ProJet is a member of the Air Charter Safety Foundation (ACSF), holds an ARGUS safety rating, and is one of the few operators certified to conduct charter flights into Washington Reagan National Airport (KDCA). ProJet’s numerous accolades include recognition as a Washington Business Journal Best Place to Work, Loudoun County Chamber Service Business of the Year, and an Inc. 5000 Fastest Growing Company.