San Francisco, CA (PRWEB) November 04, 2013
Gigaom Research, in partnership with INSIGHT Centre for Data Analytics at the National University of Ireland Galway is inviting Europe-based, independent app developers to complete a survey about the opportunities, challenges and job growth afforded by the European Union (EU) app economy. The deadline to complete the survey is 7 November 2013. Funded by the European Commission (EC), this survey is part of the Eurapp project – a comprehensive analysis of Europe’s app economy.
In the survey, independent app developers will be asked about development and support activities, including staffing, platform support, monetization and success metrics. The objective is to understand the full impact of the app economy, particularly as it relates to job creation in Europe. The survey will attempt to answer questions such as:
- What is the future of the app economy in Europe?
- Will it create more jobs?
- What opportunities and challenges will arise as the app economy grows?
Survey findings will be incorporated into a major report to be released in early 2014. But preliminary findings will be shared in Rebooting the App Economy, a workshop taking place in Berlin on 13 November 2013. The workshop will feature talks from several mobile app stakeholders, including the CEO of Mubaloo and co-founder of Xyo; winners of the recent Eurapp innovation challenge and the Eurapp research team. Online registration is now open and space is limited.
Gigaom Research is in the middle of the year-long Eurapp project. Through extensive interviews of companies in the European app ecosystem, a workshop in Brussels, and two crowdsourced challenge exercises, the team has gathered insights into how the EC can help grease the wheels of the app development marketplace. Lessons learned so far include:
- The base of European app platforms is large and growing fast, which will create a ripe market for new apps.
- Although the app economy’s potential for job creation is smaller in Europe than in the United States, it is still a substantial opportunity. The growth will be in the aftermarket.
- The net result will be thousands of small app developer companies with 2-3 employees and substantial job creation and retention at larger independents and ICT departments.
Over the next six months, Gigaom Research will build a profile and forecast model for jobs and revenue generated in the app economy aftermarket. As part of the Eurapp team it will also make recommendations to the EU, and the full results of this project will be public.
About Gigaom Research
Gigaom Research provides timely, deep analysis of emerging technologies for individual and corporate subscribers. Our network of 220+ independent analysts cover new developments in cleantech, cloud computing, connected consumer, mobile and social technology with a mix of short-form daily postings and longer, more in-depth analysis.