Washington, DC (PRWEB) November 05, 2013
While every business sector will see some effect from the sweeping insurance underwriting changes taking effect in 2014, the impact on health plans will be colossal. Bound for the first time by guaranteed issue, no pre-existing condition bars, narrow age-rating bands, no lifetime maximum benefits and the need to offer “essential health benefits,” they also will need to cope with all this without knowing what kind of risk pool they’ll have. The upcoming Nov. 19 webinar from Atlantic Information Services, “Huge Underwriting Changes Kick In Jan. 1: Bottom-Line Impact on Health Plans,” will provide a concise analysis of the impact of the 2014 underwriting changes on health plans, and what steps they can take now to cushion the blows.
Participants will hear from David Tuomala, vice president of actuarial consulting for OptumInsight, and Scott Keefer, vice president of policy and legislative affairs for Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota. Participants will get specific assessments on what the impact of the underwriting changes is likely to be, with suggestions for how health plans still can prepare, and valuable insights on such issues as:
- How many people are likely to enroll in the various new kinds of plans in 2014? How can plans determine what an insurer’s market share in these products is likely to be?
- How heavily will the makeup of the new market depend on the existing market structure? How widely will the transition vary across the country?
- How can a health plan’s revenue and claims be predicted, taking into account all of the adjustments needed for the 3Rs?
- How much adjustment for the 3Rs can a health plan expect for the population it enrolled?
- How extensive and secure is funding for the 3Rs for 2014 and the two subsequent years?
- How soon can a health plan tell what the risk of its enrolled population in 2014 will look like inside and outside the exchanges and whether it is higher or lower than priced for?
- How many uninsured individuals will opt to not enter the health insurance market despite the penalties? How will this affect the risk level for insurers?
- How can a health plan understand the risk profile of its enrolled 2014 membership in time to reprice for 2015 products given that all of the adjustments for the 3Rs won’t be final till mid-2015?
Visit http://aishealth.com/marketplace/c3m44_111913 for more details and registration information.
Atlantic Information Services, Inc. (AIS) is a publishing and information company that has been serving the health care industry for more than 25 years. It develops highly targeted news, data and strategic information for managers in hospitals, health plans, medical group practices, pharmaceutical companies and other health care organizations. AIS products include print and electronic newsletters, websites, looseleafs, books, strategic reports, databases, webinars and conferences. Learn more at http://www.AISHealth.com.