Restoration Local Offers Tips On Emergency Water Damage
The best defense is always a good offense, and taking proper steps to prevent water damage will spare property owners the trouble of having to repair and restore a home or business.
Cleveland, OH (PRWEB) November 10, 2013
Restoration Local, one of the leading providers of water damage repair and restoration in the United States, is offering tips to property owners on how to handle emergency situations. Often the decisions made in the immediate aftermath of a water damage event can make the difference in how well the problem can be rectified.
Among the steps that should not be taken:
- Do not leave wet fabrics in place. Instead, have them dried as soon as possible. Furs and leather goods should be dried separately at room temperature to avoid further damage.
- Do not leave books, magazines, or any other colored item on a wet carpet or floor.
- Do not use your regular vacuum cleaner to try and remove water. It won’t work, and there is a risk of electric shock.
- Do not activate TVs or appliances that have been damaged by water.
- Do not turn on ceiling fixtures if the ceiling is wet, and do not go into any room that has ceilings that are sagging from water weight.
Steps that should be taken
- Remove as much water as possible through mopping or blotting.
- Remove lamps from wood furniture and wipe them dry
- Prop up or hang any cushions to dry, and place aluminum foil between furniture legs and carpet to prevent staining.
- Open all doors and drawers to allow for drying.
- Remove any art and oil paintings to a safe place for drying and restoration.
- In the summer, turn on the air conditioning to maximum, and in the winter set the temp to around 70.
- Use fans to circulate air to facilitate drying.
Based in Cleveland OH, RestorationLocal.com is one of the leading water damage restoration companies in the country, with contractors in 30 states. They are available 24/7 and all work is guaranteed. More information on water damage prevention and treatment can be found at their website.