Losing Clive to mesothelioma was devastating and my family and I have been determined to get the answers we feel we deserve over his death.
Bolton, UK (PRWEB UK) 20 November 2013
Clive Beck, who died at the age of 71, claimed he had been exposed to asbestos while teaching history at Ratton School in Eastbourne, between 1972 and 1998. (1) (2)
As reported by the Eastbourne Herald and The Argus, Mr Beck died 18 months after being diagnosed with mesothelioma, an incurable form of lung cancer. It is alleged, that the hazardous material was within the shelves of a cupboard, used by Mr Beck to store books and equipment. (1) (2)
Mrs Beck spoke of her relief after securing justice from East Sussex County Council, she stated:
“No amount of money will ever bring Clive back,” said Mrs Beck, who was married for 28 years. “He wasn’t here to walk our daughter up the aisle when she got married and he would have so enjoyed being a grandfather to our granddaughter. But the fact is the council should have done more to protect him and it didn’t.”
“Losing Clive to mesothelioma was devastating and my family and I have been determined to get the answers we feel we deserve over his death. To see the impact that the illness had on him was unbearable and it is difficult to take when nowadays the risks of being exposed to asbestos are so well known.
“It has been a difficult few years but we are relieved this legal battle is now over. Nothing will ever bring Clive back but we felt it was important to get justice over everything he has faced.” (1) (2)
Commenting on the news, Thomas Fairclough, Executive at Asons Solicitors, said that:
“An asbestos related illness like Mesothelioma can lead to a slow, painful death, and it can take up to 40 years for the symptoms to present themselves.”
"According to the HSE statistics, 183 teachers and lecturers died from mesothelioma between 1980 and 2000. Asbestos exposure is not limited to those in the building trade." (3)
“If Mr Beck had been exposed to asbestos, as a result of his employment, it is unjust that measures were not taken to protect his welfare, and that of his colleagues, who may also have been exposed to asbestos, whilst working at Ratton School.”
Asons Solicitors have a dedicated team of industrial disease specialists, dealing with cases of asbestos related diseases; giving people legal advice, particularly in the area of mesothelioma claims. Exposure to asbestos can be deadly, and Asons urge anyone who feels they may have been exposed to asbestos fibres to consult their GP immediately for a consultation, and contact an industrial disease specialist for legal representation.
Asons Solicitors suggest that if someone would like to learn more about the industrial disease compensation process, or if they would like to better understand the condition, that information is available at http://www.asons.co.uk, or via an expert helpline on 01204 521 133
(1) Eastbourne Herald – Asbestos death payout for widow, 10/11/2013 eastbourneherald.co.uk/news/local/asbestos-death-payout-for-widow-1-5662788
(2) The Argus - Eastbourne teacher's widow wins payout for asbestos exposure, 07/11/2013 theargus.co.uk/news/10789020.Eastbourne_teacher_s_widow_wins_payout_for_asbestos_exposure/
(3) HSE Mesothelioma Occupation Statistics - hse.gov.uk/statistics/pdf/occ8000.pdf
(4) Case Number: HSE-20137213
(5) ITV News - itv.com/news/meridian/story/2013-11-05/widow-gains-justice/
- ENDS -
About Asons Solicitors:
Asons Solicitors is a Bolton-based law practice that specialises in personal injury and industrial disease claims. Founded by brothers Imran Akram and Kamran Akram, Asons Solicitors has developed to become a young and dynamic law firm that delivers practical solutions to clients in times of difficulty. Their continued focus on their staff has seen them awarded with the Investors in People “Gold Award”; which is reflected in the professional and personable approach they take in working with clients. They strive to grow and to develop, and their supportiveness and attention to detail ensures that their clients use them time and again.
For further information contact: