National Child Safety and Protection month is a great time to consider the safety of a home, and implement new routines that make it a safer environment for children.
Chatham, MA (PRWEB) November 18, 2013
November is National Child Safety and Protection Month. In order to honor this month and spread awareness about child safety, Eldredge & Lumpkin Insurance Agency of Chatham has released tips on keeping children safe at home. While some injuries may not be easily prevented, many accidents can be avoided by understanding home safety and following tips such as these.
5 tips to keep children safe at home:
- Many people may assume that medications with safety caps are completely childproof. That’s not always the case. Be sure to store all medications in a safe place away from the reach and sight of children.
- Teach children not to play on any exercise equipment that is in the house, and supervise them when possible while they are near this equipment. Child injuries involving home exercise equipment cause thousands of injuries each year, according to the National Network for Child Care.
- Children have thinner skin than adults, and are therefore more susceptible to burns. Hot liquids are the leading cause of nonfatal burns for children, so always use extra caution when handling these around the house. Accidental burns from hot water coming out of a faucet can be avoided by setting the thermostat on the water heater to 120 degrees.
- Make sure that all children are wearing proper-fitting helmets whenever they ride bikes, rollerblade, or participate in any other type of activity requiring a helmet. Even if they are just riding around the neighborhood or driveway, a helmet is crucial and can prevent serious head and brain injuries.
- Teach children about safety, and the importance of following safety rules in the house.
National Child Safety and Protection month is a great time to consider the safety of a home, and implement new routines that make it a safer environment for children. Since some accidents and injuries are unavoidable, it’s also a good idea for families to review their homeowners insurance policies in order to fully understand their liabilities if someone were to get injured while on their property. Call the agency at 888-665-2408 today to find out its home insurance offerings, including high value home insurance.
About Eldredge & Lumpkin Insurance Agency:
After more than 80 years in business, Eldredge & Lumpkin Insurance Agency continues to thrive. Serving over 4,000 clients, the agency does not only have experience, but exceptional service. There have been many changes over the years, but the one constant philosophy has been: If we take care of our customers, the business will take care of itself. By paying attention to details, the staff makes sure you get the right coverage that fully protects you. Everyone has unique insurance needs, and the agency has the products and services to meet them.