New York, NY (PRWEB) November 20, 2013
Surface, the American contemporary design magazine, will pre-release its special December Art issue at Art Basel Miami Beach, Design Miami, and the Brazil Art Fair (Dec. 5-8).
The limited-edition cover, created by artist John Baldessari, features Serpentine Gallery co-director of exhibitions and programs Hans Ulrich Obrist in his first U.S. cover. Obrist, an internationally recognized curator, is interviewed in the issue by Paul Holdengräber, director of the Live at the New York Public Library talk series. The exclusive interview explores Obrist’s early influences, the role of curating in the Internet age, and how Obrist approaches his work, among other topics.
The issue is dedicated to art and those who make it, curate it, exhibit it, and collect it. A few key highlights include:
- Unpublished interview of the late architect and designer Ettore Sottsass by Obrist
- Interview with Serpentine Gallery director Julia Peyton-Jones by Surface executive editor Spencer Bailey
- Contributions from artists Olafur Eliasson, Björk, artist Peter Fischli, poet and writer Etel Adnan, filmmaker and photographer Ziad Antar, and industrial designer Konstantin Grcic
- Interviews with John Baldessari, David Chipperfield, Bice Curiger, Zaha Hadid, Jacques Herzog, Maja Hoffman, Paul McCarthy, Philippe Parreno, Tino Sehgal, Stefano Tonchi, Anton Vidokle, and other friends and collaborators of Obrist
- Fifteen-page fashion spread featuring Chanel’s fall/winter 2013 couture collection
- A special, art-themed gift guide curated by Surface special projects editor Bettina Korek, founder of ForYourArt
This limited-edition collectors’ issue is reserved for subscribers and distribution at Art Basel Miami Beach, Design Miami, and the Brazil Art Fair before it hits newsstands.
Surface is the definitive American contemporary design magazine. Launched in in 1994 and published 10 times annually, Surface has become known for producing engaging editorial content attuned to contemporary design within the disciplines of architecture, art, fashion, and culture. Surface offers incisive writing, a clean aesthetic, and engaging editorial content with a distinct emphasis on process and craftsmanship. A must-read for aficionados and designers alike, it brings the stories behind products and buildings to life. Under the leadership of CEO Marc Lotenberg, publisher Keren Eldad, and executive editor Spencer Bailey, Surface has evolved into an influential voice in the design world. The magazine features industry insiders who contribute original content each month related to innovations within their particular area of expertise. Surface’s star contributors include architect David Rockwell, Hodinkee.com editor Benjamin Clymer, AHotelLife.com founder Ben Pundole, ForYourArt.com founder Bettina Korek, and Selectism.com’s Jeff Carvalho.
Surface is printed in the USA on premium paper and ink. Subscribers gain access to a portfolio of experiential digital media. Surface is available by subscription, on newsstands and through select distribution at hotels (in-room), private-jet terminals, premium fitness centers, and top design destinations and events around the world.
For more information or to subscribe, please visit http://www.surfacemag.com, follow @SurfaceMag on Twitter and Instagram, and like Surface on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/surfacemag. For more information, please contact keldad(at)surfacemag(dot)com.